The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Emissions Denver CO

nemovr4

Okay so I need some more suggestions..
I have failed emissions 5 times, and I am running out of options. So far I have replaced Spark Plugs, Wires, Air Filter, and oil. I have the EGR block off (correctly done) and have done several in depth boost leak tests, only a small leak on the BOV.
The car currently has 2.5 exhaust all the way through, with a hi-flow cat, which I am replacing as soon as I can find one. (suggestions welcome)
I put back in my 450cc injectors and made propper adjustments in ECMlink.

So far I have dialed down the fuel pressure to 37psi and failed both CO and HC...today I went in (fifth time) and ran about 2 gallons of E85 and 5 gallons of 91...lowered the HC but failed the CO.

Also it should be noted that I am only doing the idle and 2500 rpm tests because they are affraid of the 4ws sticker on the back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyone have ANY other comments or suggestions I could do to pass...the "boss" says if i dont get this figured out it will be going on Craigslist...
Help.

Thanks,
-Chris

ktmrider

There are at least 5 separate threads on this site with "CO emission passing help".

Do NOT run E85!!!! Hurts way more than helps.

EGR will help with NOx, if it goes up/fails once the other gasses are reduced think about it.

Cams and timing are next. Did you degree the cams? Did you bump up idle to compensate for them? How bout timing?

Air flow monitor system? SD or MAF?

O2 sensor performance? Using stock one fed into 'Link or WB?

nemovr4

I have read most of the threads on here and DSMtuners.
Wont be running E85 again...didn't work.

I have the egr stuff blocked off...

As far as the Cams, should I advance or retard the timing...I believe I have the timing advanced around 5 degrees right now. Its pretty easy to adjust the timing with ecmlink but if you think I should get at it with a timing light then I can do that too.

As far a airflow I am using the stock Galant vr4 sensor, no changes, just MAF with ECMlink..

I have my wideband (AEM) hooked up into the ecu and it is clean and appears to be working correctly. (Narrowband sim with ecmlink V3)

nemovr4

Also would I have better chances if they put it on the dyno OR with the idle test???

GSX_TC

since your AWD you cant go on their little emissions dyno anyways.

5OF2k

Mike, most emissions dynos here are AWD capable, and he'd be able to find one for certain.

OP, check your timing, and open the gap on the plugs a tad. That should help the fuel burn more completely.

The boost leak could also cause you to be running rich as well, even though it's "small"

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Ahh geez I always thought that was everywhere, that sucks. Now I like Texas even better.

Racah15

Quoting nemovr4:

I have my wideband (AEM) hooked up into the ecu and it is clean and appears to be working correctly. (Narrowband sim with ecmlink V3)

^This could be a problem. Read up on Narrowband sim and how it's kind of a joke, and only a "LAST RESORT" type of thing. It's completely useless for normal car driving and especially emmisions. It uses the 5V signal and simulated it as a 1v. You will be dwelling on rich and lean sooo much more than a regular o2 sensor, which will cause you to go lean and rich, but not ever truly optimal. Rich is bad, and lean give out more hydrocarbons. Your screwed either way, haha. I have tried it, and gas mileage suffered, and the cruise was awful. A friend of mine also tried it and ditched it. If your o2 sensor goes completely out and not able to go into closed loop, then sure, simulate it until you can afford a new NB o2. But don't use it for emissions and daily driving.

Last edited:

nemovr4

"Read up on Narrowband sim and how it's kind of a joke, and only a "LAST RESORT" type of thing. It's completely useless for normal car driving and especially emmisions. "
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I am simulating because my narrowband died on me...its on the "To Do" list but unfortunatly I have to pass emissions first...I do notice the difference with the sim, but I can't do anything about that now.

Does crankcase ventilation/PCV valve have a signifigant effect on the emissions? I have read through a lot of the threads on here about them but never saw a deffinate answer. I know that the PCV valve has never been replaced so I am picking one up from Mitsu today.

Also getting a new CAT put on this afternoon.

***Does anyone know if the idle test is more strict than the dyno?***(in Denver)

austinawd

The PCV system shouldn't effect the reading too much out the tail pipe. If you're venting, it's just letting unchecked exhaust vent to atmosphere.

With narrowband simulation, did you get the switch point dialed in?
Post up a log if you want

nemovr4

I believe the narrowband was set up correctly, GalantVR4559 helped me out with a lot of the tuning on V3.

I might be able to post up a log tomorrow. (no laptop today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Thanks for the info!

-Chris

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned