The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

failed smog

Brianawd

Your co2 is low. Put a block off plate between the EGR valve and intake manifold. A egr valve lowers CO2 but raises HC. Your CO2 will go up but HC will go down. You should pass with out a problem. Funny because HC do more damage then CO2 yet the EPA still pushes EGR valves.

JNR

Actually, EGR is designed to lower NOx and does not activate at idle, so not sure it's going to do anything for him on that part of the test...seems the 'load' test he's fine, it's the idle he needs to fix...

Do they not give you or care about NOx anymore on CA smog? It's been so many years since I've needed a smog, I don't recall all the areas they show, but could swear NOx is one of them, as that is one of the major parts of smog and why they typically put things like SCR's on coal fired plants.

SouthCaliVR4

they only test nox on the dyno. so we get lucky on that one.

If egr is leaking it can raise hc.

b00st33d

I think I might have found the problem. I might have a leak on the manifold to turbo gasket when I went to smog. A couple of days ago, I noticed that I was not boosting. Sure enough the gasket that I have separated.
So injector seal is in order as well as the gasket that's blown. Is it an o-ring that needs to be replaced on the base of the biss screw? Any idea what the part number?
Also, do the technician check the EGR functionality? I have been wanting to block egr but i am unsure if they check it or not.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Unless the tech physically uses a screwdriver or vacuum pump to actuate the diaphragm on the EGR, they will have no way of knowing if its working. Maybe they don't care, maybe they do.
Ask the tech afterwards, or another tech at another shop/state ref site if you are worried about that.

BISS screw has an O-ring, yes.
I suggest getting a proper O-ring like JNZtuning.net, MACHV, etc, sells or any other reputable dealer/site has to offer.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned