The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EGT Problem

birdman24

Hello all I am new to Galants and owning a performance car so I will probably post some of the oddest questions on the forum unless someone has already asked it.

Last night while sitting in 1471/2000 I noticed my EGT gauge was reading below zero, I turned the car off and the gauge went to its resting point (zero) and when i turn the accessories on the gauge shoots back down below zero and stays there even while the engine is running. I'm guessing that the gauge has a short in the wiring some where, but I figured it would be smarter to ask the knowledgeable people of this forum first before i start ripping my interior apart. I am assuming that this is not normal. Has anyone experienced this before? Do I need a new EGT gauge and wiring?

Thanks,
Terence

Last edited:

Struc

Try unplugging the EGT probe and see if it still happens.

birdman24

Ok, Thanks Struc I'll try that and let then post the results.

birdman24

Ok, so I removed the sensor and tried it again, the gauge read zero the whole time so I noticed that the sensor had a white tint to it so I wiped it down and stuck it back in. Gladly it works again now. Thanks

Struc

It will probably go bad again, though. The sensors only last so long before they go fruity. I'd start looking for a replacement to have on hand. I like the TRE EGT probes, but it doesn't look like they sell them anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

birdman24

Ok thank you I'll start looking into that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned