The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECU Clarification

nemovr4

Okay so I have done a fair amount of research and I am still not clear.

First of all can I use any 1g dsm ECU in my GVR4?(I know the Galant isn't made by Chstler so we don't have to go into that)

Since I know there are a few options on Craigslist, what should I lookout for when I look for a new ECU?

Second, how can I tell if it is automatic or manual?

I will be taking my current Virgin ECU out and getting it fixed but I need a new one while that is happening because this is my DD.

Wizardawd

Any 91-94 1g Turbo ECU works fine. Manual or AT is fine. ATs are slightly different in the fuel curve but not much (450cc at 32psi vs 390cc at 38psi), but the car will run just fine. Technically you can use most Hyundai and Non-turbo 2.0L ECUs as long as you don't plan on getting on the gas. NT ECUs lack the knock sensor circuit and some other things that allow the car to run properly under boost. But, for diagnostic or just getting the car to run, they work.

90 ECUs require some wire swapping, etc to work properly. Plenty on the net about 90 in a 91-94 DSM writeups.

This may also help:
click

Wiz

nemovr4

Awesome, thank you for the info!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

nemovr4

Okay got the ECU out and didn't get run over (Big plus because I was on the road side of a one way street DT Denver) Got a couple of strange looks, I'm assuming because of my Black hoodie and flashlight...

Here are a few pics...

G

Staff member
Ecu looks to be in really good condition, if you have it repaired (caps replaced) you should be good to go.

nemovr4

Plan to keep it looking good, also looking into getting it socketed for ecmlink v3...
But I think that those questions are going to be for another post.

I really do want to thank everyone for their input and help, this Forum is FULL of good guys and a huge collection of knowledge!

-Chris

big_d

Some clean up, a new set of caps, and a socket...and you'll be good to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif If anyone needs ECU work done, hit me up!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You got lucky the corrosion isn't heavier. Get the acid neutralized and CAPs replaced stat.
Then life will get a little better.

nemovr4

Done, done, and done. Thanks for the input guys!

-Chris

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned