The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

easy exhaust mani mod

mikus

Two book quotes in a week, guess I'm an official Corky sackrider. Ah well, Life Goes On. This doesn't answer holding strength BUT it's useful
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Depending on the style of joint, three fasteners are possible: through-bolt, stud, or bolt. Observe the following guidelines:
• A through-bolt with a nut (a con-rod bolt, for example) is always the first choice,
• A stud anchored in a threaded receiver (cylinder head to exhaust manifold, for example) is a decent second choice,
• Last and clearly least is a bolt screwed into a threaded receiver. These joints cannot stay tight unless secured with safety wire. Use on]y as a last resort.
Large, heavy, flat washers are necessary, as are lockwashers. Forget using any form of spring lockwasher; as the heat treat merely gets cooked out. In¬terference-style lockwashers, with ramps, ridges, or serrations, are the only lockwashers that are survivors.
Stainless mechanical locknuts are able to keep a positive lock at high tem¬perature. Copper-alloy locknuts cannot cut the temperature; they simply sag.
<b>**RULE: Bolted turbo joints are trouble. Give them your best shot.</b>

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

SleepinGVR4

Depending on the style of joint, three fasteners are possible: through-bolt, stud, or bolt. Observe the following guidelines:
• A through-bolt with a nut (a con-rod bolt, for example) is always the first choice,
• A stud anchored in a threaded receiver (cylinder head to exhaust manifold, for example) is a decent second choice,
• Last and clearly least is a bolt screwed into a threaded receiver. These joints cannot stay tight unless secured with safety wire. Use on]y as a last resort.
Large, heavy, flat washers are necessary, as are lockwashers. Forget using any form of spring lockwasher; as the heat treat merely gets cooked out. In¬terference-style lockwashers, with ramps, ridges, or serrations, are the only lockwashers that are survivors.
Stainless mechanical locknuts are able to keep a positive lock at high tem¬perature. Copper-alloy locknuts cannot cut the temperature; they simply sag.
**RULE: Bolted turbo joints are trouble. Give them your best shot.

I have some questions about this.

Don't Eagle Rods use just a bolt screwed in to a threaded receiver(rod end)?

And OEM rods use a stud and nut combo... correct?

Copper-alloy locknuts cannot cut the temperature; they simply sag.

Don't the OEM exhaust manifold hardware use copper-alloy locknuts?

mikus

Quote:
Don't Eagle Rods use just a bolt screwed in to a threaded receiver(rod end)?
And OEM rods use a stud and nut combo... correct?

not sure that this negates anything, as well the 'rod end' might be considered as a nut of sorts.
Quote:
Don't the OEM exhaust manifold hardware use copper-alloy locknuts?

yep, and many others.

I'm sure you could poke various holes in 100-someodd pages of this or any technical book. Nonetheless it's considered an excellent reference and was topical here. Use the info as you will.

SleepinGVR4

Oh ok. I wasn't arguing with those statements just found them contradicting with the hardware that's used on our cars. Thought it was interesting is all.

grocery_getter

On the stock rod the way the fasteners jointings done is actually pretty strong. Where it fails is not in the joint where the nut is threaded to the pressed stud, it is the stud itself that yield. With aftermarket rod bolt, it is done with a bolt to make it easy to measure bolt stretch as a way to make sure ideal loading of the fasteners is reached.

Our exhaust manifold nuts are copper coated steel nuts. Not copper alloy. Coating is not equal alloying.

broxma

To answer you question Barnsey, no. I didn't read it in a book. It was part of the magic of working for the guy. 2 hour lessons on how doubling boost can result in more than double HP due to crank angle, piston location and some sine wave curve, all of it hastily scrawled on the back of whatever napkin was at his desk. Some of us got odd lessons like that 2-3 times a week. The bolt-stud lesson was just one I happen to remember to a reasonable degree.

Go ahead and ask me about Blow Off Valves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/brox

Barnes

My problem is I'm 99.999% sure your explination was completely incorrect. I was just wondering if you had the original discussion so I could figure out if you just recounted it poorly.

jepherz

Staff member
I'm going to agree with Barnes here. Sounds like some "made for TV" BS :). I may not know what I'm talking about, but I'm thinking the main reason Mitsu puts studs on the exhaust manifold is for serviceability. The less you touch the threads into the aluminum, the better.

Last edited:

Barnes

Here is the deal. The explination that a stud connection is stronger made no sense. But I'm just one person with a degree and a few years work experience (doesn't count for much). But looking around online, and in my design books, I can't find ANYTHING that would indicate a stud is stronger than an equivalent bolt. The fact I can't find any literature makes me very confident the idea that studs are stronger is not true. Studs have distinct advantages, but don't appear to be any stronger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

broxma

I suppose we would have to first clear up what we mean by stronger. Clamping force? Corky's assertion was that the stud would have more clamping force. His explanation, and his degrees and 50 years of experience, are good enough for me to count his assertion as one of some authority. To put forth a completely unscientific premise, why when looking for a "stronger" hold, clamp if you will, for the factory head studs, do we switch to studs? The opposing force is not on a single plane(back surface of the bolt head), but spread on the entire surface of the threads of the nut and the back surface of the nut(bolt head). Never mind that the material may be different as I caveated my first claim with the condition, of same size and material. In addition, when applying torque to the bolt, you have to move the entire bolt, meaning all thread surfaces will be in direct contact and eating away at the opposite thread in the block, nut dilation I believe is what this is. In the case of the bolted manifold, once the bolt head makes contact with the washer(I am assuming a washer was used), any more torque is simply eating that much further at the threads. The iron of the manifold isn't going to give way. The gasket will to a degree, but once it is at its maximum compression, it's all eaten threads. Ideally, the bolt should break before the threads strip out and not because it bottomed out. The stud eliminates all of this and puts all the nut dilation at on the outside at the nut/stud joint, not in the head. My biggest fear about bolting the manifold would be the constant reduction in head material caused by the installation and removal of the bolts. Contrary to what anyone says, this torque and forget it idea is not going to happen. After even just a few cycles with the bolt, the head is going to be in much worse shape. I don't think anyone would argue against that claim.

But wouldn't the threads of the stud also have a higher effective thread engagement? Aren't the threads at the nut calculated into that total figure? I read an equation which stated a bolt has an effective thread engagement of the thread area plus 1/3 the bolt head height. A stud has the effective engagement of the thread area plus 1/2 the nut height. Wouldn't that include the threads of the nut? Or is the additional 1/6 due to the thread of the nut inherently? If it were, wouldn't it be variable upon the nut height instead?

Honestly, I am not able to professionally argue my position. I do have a limited experience with such things but not enough to make a qualified claim. I do trust Corky and his claim though, as it makes logical sense to me and his diagram and explanation were enough to satisfy my question. The overwhelming opinion on the matter from ARP and other bolt/stud manufacturers is that a greater clamping force (Strength as I mean it) is possible with a stud/nut versus a bolt. At the very least they claim a more accurate torque.

That's about all I have on the matter.

/brox

Barnes

I read your original post as claiming a bolt would break before a stud. It seems you had more in mind when you were talking about strength. As far as the failure point of the connection, a stud and nut would not be any stronger than the equivalent cap screw. I'm sure the reason studs are chosen are for the myriad of other advantages and restrictions that cap screw and bolts present.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting broxma:
I suppose we would have to first clear up what we mean by stronger. Clamping force? Corky's assertion was that the stud would have more clamping force. His explanation, and his degrees and 50 years of experience, are good enough for me to count his assertion as one of some authority. To put forth a completely unscientific premise, why when looking for a "stronger" hold, clamp if you will, for the factory head studs, do we switch to studs? The opposing force is not on a single plane(back surface of the bolt head), but spread on the entire surface of the threads of the nut and the back surface of the nut(bolt head). Never mind that the material may be different as I caveated my first claim with the condition, of same size and material. In addition, when applying torque to the bolt, you have to move the entire bolt, meaning all thread surfaces will be in direct contact and eating away at the opposite thread in the block, nut dilation I believe is what this is. In the case of the bolted manifold, once the bolt head makes contact with the washer(I am assuming a washer was used), any more torque is simply eating that much further at the threads. The iron of the manifold isn't going to give way. The gasket will to a degree, but once it is at its maximum compression, it's all eaten threads. Ideally, the bolt should break before the threads strip out and not because it bottomed out. The stud eliminates all of this and puts all the nut dilation at on the outside at the nut/stud joint, not in the head. My biggest fear about bolting the manifold would be the constant reduction in head material caused by the installation and removal of the bolts. Contrary to what anyone says, this torque and forget it idea is not going to happen. After even just a few cycles with the bolt, the head is going to be in much worse shape. I don't think anyone would argue against that claim.

But wouldn't the threads of the stud also have a higher effective thread engagement? Aren't the threads at the nut calculated into that total figure? I read an equation which stated a bolt has an effective thread engagement of the thread area plus 1/3 the bolt head height. A stud has the effective engagement of the thread area plus 1/2 the nut height. Wouldn't that include the threads of the nut? Or is the additional 1/6 due to the thread of the nut inherently? If it were, wouldn't it be variable upon the nut height instead?

Honestly, I am not able to professionally argue my position. I do have a limited experience with such things but not enough to make a qualified claim. I do trust Corky and his claim though, as it makes logical sense to me and his diagram and explanation were enough to satisfy my question. The overwhelming opinion on the matter from ARP and other bolt/stud manufacturers is that a greater clamping force (Strength as I mean it) is possible with a stud/nut versus a bolt. At the very least they claim a more accurate torque.

That's about all I have on the matter.

/brox

I think your second to last sentence summarized the key benefit besides those mentioned earlier above; accurate torque. Just because a stud/nut and bolt have a different bond between them doesn't mean the forces are any different. The only force in either case would be directly away from the head. I also don't see why thread purchase is multiplied in the case of a stud and nut combo over a bolt when the forces on the threads on either side of the exhaust flange are actually in the opposite direction.

Yes, maybe it is ideal for a bolt to shear off before tearing threads out in reference to your comment, but clearly, at least in the case of our engines, that is not so. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a necessity to heli-coil for so many people. When you're talking about running a hardened steel bolt into an aluminum threaded hole, there's simply only one way to in crease your thread purchase; increasing thread surface area (ie. the total area of the threads acting against the clamping force, or the area of aluminum to bolt material). This would either be done by using a wider bolt, or a longer bolt, both of which would expose more thread area.

One of the first few posts here says exactly what I'm trying to say, only in better words. It's an even worse problem in this case because cast iron is stronger than a 4g63 head's aluminum.

"The real strength of studs comes from NOT wearing on the threads they are screwed into. Every time you screw any grade of bolt into cast iron threads, you will lose some of the threads. If you can LocTite a stud in place, you won't be stressing the cast iron threads every time you disassemble the engine."

The best option in this case truly is to helicoil from the start. This allows you to use the factory design fastener in terms of depth and width, but gives you more thread purchase area as the area between steel and aluminum has increased. I can't find any references, but many times helicoils are used from the get-go even before a thread has had a chance to strip.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned