The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eagle Talon Rear Subframe on a VR4

sublimesnfu

I picked up a complete rear sub frame off a 93 Talon for the 4bolt diff to put my EVO lsd in. I've read that I can use the TEL rear sub frame on the VR4 and was thinking about cleaning the sub frame up and swapping out the bushings and installing the complete sub frame at once with the diff and axles all at once.

So the questions are is installing the sub frame a dumb idea for some reason I can't figure out?

Also if I'm using the talon sub frame wouldn't I use a TEL rear sway bar instead of a VR4 rear sway bar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EHmotorsports

Only difference is vr4 has rear steer and tel does not. Everything subframe related swaps over. Everything!

raptorWagon

I had a rusted and cracked subframe, replaced it with a minty one off a '94 talon. Question anwsered.

Wookalar

Quoting sublimesnfu:
I picked up a complete rear sub frame off a 93 Talon for the 4bolt diff to put my EVO lsd in. I've read that I can use the TEL rear sub frame on the VR4 and was thinking about cleaning the sub frame up and swapping out the bushings and installing the complete sub frame at once with the diff and axles all at once.

So the questions are is installing the sub frame a dumb idea for some reason I can't figure out?

Also if I'm using the talon sub frame wouldn't I use a TEL rear sway bar instead of a VR4 rear sway bar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only difference is a tab that sticks off the top of the subframe where the pump mounts for the rear steering set up.

Yes cut out the old rubber and install new mounts. The old rubber is likely nasty but keep in mind a bit more "feel" or vibration may be felt in the cabin.

As for sway bar, whiteline if you can find one. A talon bar would work but Im not positive on whether or not it would clear the galant exhaust. Upgrade the bar if you can, it helps with decreasing understeer.

Last edited:

Kibby

Kind of on this topic. Is there a teardown and bushing replacement/bars braces on this forum for the rear subframe?. My bushings are dry rotted or not even really there.

sublimesnfu

I intend to rebuild and paint the sub frame with all new bushings and an upgraded sway bar. Looking at getting a 26mm Whiteline. I'm going to hold off on upgrading the clutch pack in the EVO LSD at first as I'm thinking that I'll have more than enough oversteer to keep me happy with the stock clutch pack.

Do you think Poly subframe bushing are worth the performance advantage over new rubber bushing for a car that is daily driven? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

boostx

I am not aware of any new rubber bushing is available for the rear subframe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned