The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E38a RS build thread

NZ VR4 RS

coming togther, you be ripping it up soon

BENE38A

bringing this back from the dead!
Had this whole project advertised for sale, couldn't let go. I had to sell the magnus and the turbo plus manifold to fix my van, now the van has been fixed and sold I have "invested" alot of money back into this project to hopefully push it over the line.
I got another V4 which I painted and polished the lettering

a BNIB facelift JDM front

and a host of other new parts, a precision 6466, bigger kelfords, sparktech COP cdi ignition, evo 9 brembos and many other less interesting bits. also a half rad to acommodate the new turbo setup. Should start seeing parts fly through the door over the next two weeks and in between continue with the 5 stud swap, subframes and cleaning out this damn shed.
want to get this thing rolling asap to send it off for a cage.
I will keep the thread updated when I start ticking off some more stages of this build. Any fellow kiwis looking for an afco scirrocco radiator? never been used, hit me up ill look after you plus I have a dsm water neck with the coolant filler that will go with. it has 20an fittings welded onto the radiator.
thanks for reading.

strokin4dr

Wow, that bumper looks so nice!
What is the price tag on one of those and are they still available?

BENE38A

I think they still show up through amayama, this was bought through ralliart NZ for $920NZD. quite pricey when it doesn't come with any supports or the second vent but I gave up trying to find a second hand one that wasn't crap.

kumfasa

Alright alright alright!!! Great to see you back in the game. I knew the "sellup" wasn't in your heart. Sounds like you have become very committed. Wicked.

My galant is going great, I have just got to the point where I am winding up the wick. Sitting at 20psi boost at the moment and pulling well (Still got a fair amount of timing to add in order to really "wake it up"). I have run out of MAF volume so a 399MAF is on the way which means a new air intake setup also.

We will have to arrange a catch up so I can take you for a spin and try to ramp up your motivation to finish the RS.

BENE38A

HUGE WEEKEND!
As parts started showing up I got my lazy ass back into the shed to finish all the bushings and ball joints up front.
I stripped back both wheel wells up front, removed the minimal rust and sprayed them with a kill rust epoxy enamel. Over top of that I sprayed a stone shield paint.
Then I installed the front subframe. Bolted up one lower control arm, Put the BC's up front and a front spindle.
This is the first time in about a year this car has had a wheel fitted and that includes the steering wheel

Now, the car has been minus an engine where it should be for over two years, finally I sat it in the there along with alot of the other goodies I was waiting on

Its a JMfabrications front facing 1g dsm manifold with a 3 inch downpipe with recirc for the mvr44. The turbo is a v-band in and out precision 6466 BB and obviously a magnus.
I am over the moon with this setup and the progress, the fitment for the front facing turbo is mint, the magnus is getting close to the brake booster and I suspect the master cylinder will be in the way but for now I just stand back and smile.
Next up is the rear end and stripping the underside of the car and re-coating like I did up front, pulling the fuel tank and giving that a birthday on top of the diff, transfer case and gearbox.
Thanks for reading, Ben.

Last edited:

MX4

Nice work Ben. FYI - My JMF intake mangifold is very tight on the brake booster also. Ive used a 90 degree silicone bend to get it to work.

BENE38A

Thanks Ryan, good to hear this issue can be overcome easily.
I have v-bands for the intercooler piping so i'll have to throw the master on and see where it all lands. How was the trip?

BENE38A

Test fit of the Evo 9 brembos, I would feel I little more comfortable with a tad more room between the calliper and spoke. These are 17x8 +35.

BENE38A

Been a long time but it is still moving ahead. I found another set of 17x8 +35 RPF1's for bugger all so I bought them, really the only thing stopping the car from rolling is I did not have tires.
Since the last update I have

-run the fuel feed -8 and fuel return -6
-made the fuel lines to and from the rail/reg and return
-run new brake line to all four corners
-installed wheels and pushed it outside for the first time in almost two years!

Up for some massive suspension adjustments this thing is all over the show, the subframes front and rear were torn to pieces. I have to finish the brembo upgrade, I need to either modify some hand brake cables or have some made also brakelines from the hardline to caliper. When I have the brakes completed its all off for the roll cage and engine bay fabrication.
In the meantime I have this to enjoy,

Its a clean 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III, feels good to be behind the wheel of an old school mitsu again.

Thanks for reading

G

Staff member
Nice, so no 4ws and you have a 4bolt rear on this rs?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned