The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E38a RS build thread

BENE38A

gone in a different direction with my build, going to use an evo 1 or 2g head, sent off to be ported and flow benched. slowly stockpiling parts now and found this for $100

it was rough and covered in flakey red paint after 6 hours of sanding i got it primed and its in good nik, slight scuffing but no dents or warpage and came with all bumper supports, foglights, no broken fixing points. not sure if ill use it on my car yet but for $100 why wouldnt you grab it

Last edited:

prove_it

I'll take it for $100....

BENE38A

i dont know if im going to use it yet man, i put it on the car it fit perfect and looks good, spent hours sanding so wouldnt let it go for $100, either way i may have an evolution spec bumper or AMG bumper for sale soon got to fund these new parts. got my supertech s/s nitrated valves and PAC beehive springs, tit retainers in today. im selling most of my old setup off, have gt2860rs turbo setup, evo 0 intercooler with alloy piping, cyclone intake, evo III exhaust mani, a 4 puck comp clutch kit 2000kms on it etc most stuff probably not worth the expense shipping to states but if interested in anything PM me.

BENE38A

Engine is moving forward faster than I had first aimed for, Evo 1 cylinder head is back all portwork done and assembled with kelford springs, supertech valves and stem seals, gsc revised lifters, evo 8 rockers and kiggly HLA. Have my cams and all my oem parts in including oil pump front case, sensors, gaskets, all new timing covers and almost every oem bolt I could get my hands on.

Have not locked in a rotating assembly yet, have been entertaining the idea of a 2.3L lately but still undecided.
Got a kiggly girdle all my arp hardware, although iv'e been thinking of getting some h11 headstuds. And started buying some new bushings for the underside.
Will post some pics soon but head is nicely wrapped up and clean so want to keep it that way.
cheers for reading.

NZ VR4 RS

looks good, whats the chassis no

BENE38A

Thank you both, chassis number is E38A-0002257.
More parts came in grabbed the 3 piece chromoly crossmember from Paul Volk/99gstracer, Its a great piece quality fabrication.
Went with the silver fidanza adjustable cam gears, seems the polish alluminum look may carry on in the engine bay just don't want to over-do it, other than that no big updates plan to buy some rods soon but to stroke or not to stroke???

BENE38A

Got an another parcel today, bought some rods. I am sticking with the original plan of a built 2.0l

These are some serious rods, come with H11 rod bolts and they are a nice piece.

Next is pistons, I have a goal to have this motor built by the end of this year and I am on track with that. After that I will have to slow down and start saving, Me and three mates are going to Japan in 2015 and I want to try and track down parts for chassis over there, should be a great trip cannot wait!

BENE38A

Small update for those that follow, engine is currently at the shop.
Block is machined and all my parts are there ready for assembly bar a headgasket.
I have chopped and changed so many bits and pieces since I first started this build. I went for the kelford tx272 and sold the crowers, pistons I am using the wiseco 10.5:1 e85 piston kit instead of 8.5:1. Sold my magnus smim in favor of the yet to be released 2g evo 1 2 3 magnus cast intake and lots of other misc parts throughout.

Should have the engine back from the shop late August then it can be pieced back together.

BENE38A

My motor is built, I really wanted to assemble this myself but a build of this scale was a bit to much to take on as a first build.
basic specs of the engine
-6 bolt 4g63 block bored to 85.5mm, line honed and decked
-wiseco 1400HD 10.5:1 e85 piston kit 85.5mm
-Crower billet steel I-beam con rods with H11 rod bolts
-eagle 88mm stroke forged crank
-ACL race series big end and main bearings
-kiggly girdle
-ARP main stud kit
-Arp L19 head stud kit
-cometic MLS 1.5mm head gasket

-Evo 1 cylinder head port and polish,valve job, decked and modified to suit 12mm headstuds
-supertech black nitrated valves (standard size)
-supertech bronze valve guides
-supertech valve stem seals
-GSC power division HLA's
-Evo 8 rocker arms
-kiggly HLA oil pressure regulator
-kelford valve springs and titanium retainers
-kelford TX272 cams (degreed)
-hks adjustable cam gears

-hks timing belt
-new oem waterpump, oil pump, cambelt engine mount, timing covers, pulleys, tensioner, bolts and gaskets throughout.
-tilton twin plate clutch and flywheel
-fluidampr

There will be pictures to come but there is not much to see right now its wrapped up. Next step is to send the gearbox away to be inspected and reassembled, buy in the last few items like new engine mounts and alt relocation, rebuild front subframe and depower the steering rack, repaint the engine bay and bolt on the JM fab top mount gtx3582r and magnus v4 2g cast intake manifold.

Last edited:

BENE38A

I moved the car into a small storage shed last weekend, its a more suitable location to do what I am currently doing with the car, at least until I can move into my own shed.

I have very quickly out grown the shed but it is dry and secure.
Currently this is how the body sits, The engine bay is completely stripped bar the brake lines running to the rear which I will get when I go under next time I work on the car. The engine bay is messy built up crud over the last 24 years and there is the addition of some extra holes which will be welded up along with any other holes not needed but other than that just a repaint once all corrosion and grease is removed.

And here is the engine all wrapped up on the stand waiting its turn.

Thanks for reading, Ben.

BENE38A

Had another couple of hours this weekend on the car, started degreasing the firewall and engine bay.
The lower radiator support had been used as a tow hook instead of the actual tow hooks either side of it and is pretty beat up, twisted and dented and a bit rusty, I spent a bit of timewith it but its buggered so I thought I would build something.

I am using an affco scirrocco radiator so I made some mounts which I will bolt down with rubber bushings either side of the mounting feet on the radiator, very basic and simple design.
This is the first time I have actually fabricated something. I used 35mmx3mm SHS it was sitting around from some steel work on my current building site. I used a small mig welder with gasless wire, I have everything to go gas with it except the gas so that will be next and wether I use this crossmember or not I am unsure, the welds are strong but untidy and I sure could use some more experience but at the very least it was successful.
I welcome any feed back please.

Thanks for reading, Ben.

kumfasa

Nice one Ben, Glad to see some progress on your build, must be agony having the engine all ready to go but having to get the chassis squared away.
Good on you for having a crack at something new, its the only way to gain experience.

BENE38A

Thank you.
You are right, all I want to do is put the engine in and start enjoying it! I only have my self to blame, I could have completed the chassis work whilst the engine was built but I wasn't quick enough to get it in to a better shed, it is what it is.
Even if I do not use that crossmember it was a valuable lesson in welding. I am currently looking into a local evening welding course which will be great, It is a pretty big thing around here to be doing all your own work as it should be when you build a car and apart from my engine and stainless steel/aluminum fabrication I plan on doing it all myself. Your car has come along nicely too it is great to see it back running and I am looking out for those pictures!
Thanks mate, Ben.

Last edited:

BENE38A

So another day on the car and some good progress, Managed to get the engine bay primed. I need a couple more hours and some body filler to get it just right before I paint it.
I was hoping to complete it this weekend but it was not to be.

I also stripped the front subframe, burnt out the old bushings, degreased and watersprayed it. This is ready to be sent off to be powder coated along with a couple of other bits and pieces I am yet to clean.

Thanks for reading, Ben.

BENE38A

Another couple of weekends spent on the car and alot of progress.
The engine bay is painted

I am happy with how this came out, good old mitsubishi WO9 sophia white.

Last weekend I pulled the rear subframe and removed all the old factory bushings, That along with the front subframe and control arms is down to be zinced and powder coated. Probably a 3 week wait for that because the local shop is flat out, in the mean time I will start hoarding all the new bushings and do the 5 lug swap.

All the parts are in, bought the 1g dsm front hubs (non abs) new along with all new oem wheel bearings and seals I need. The rears are NLA so I bought a second hand set from Nate Crisman of performance partout.
This should happen soon, I have to buy a bearing press first though. Also got in a set of avid racing billet aluminum engine mounts, I cannot wait to get the engine back in finally!
Thanks for reading, Ben.

BENE38A

Got some stuff back from the powdercoater this week

They came out great! now just to put them back together, have the boostx rear bushings yet to buy some fronts.

Bolted the turbo setup on the engine, Have the valve cover in at the fabricators getting a new baffle fitted and some AN fittings for the catch can, also the afco scirrocco radiator and thermostat housing to get AN fittings welded on, this should be done early this coming week.
Magnus 2g cast intake manifolds are done and ship out this Monday so hopefully that will turn up next week too.

BENE38A

Thanks Ryan appreciate it, that valve cover baffle I bought from you almost 2 years ago is finally getting installed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts