The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSMlink V3 is out

Quoting charmcity:
Ive also read for tuning and DD purposes speed density is the best way to go.

No. There is a reason 90% of the OEMs use mafs. Mafs actually read the MASS of air entering the engine. that feature in itself can compensate for air temp and density changes under most conditions.

MAP setups, no matter how evolved, are guessing at the amount of air entering the engine based on temp and pressure.

Lots of cars around here get tuned in the summer and run great on MAP equipped AEMs. Come winter, temp drops and the cars run like sh*t and require retunes.

turbowop

While I agree with you that mafs are the way to go for daily driveability, my Maftpro setup in speed density using a 3bar GM map sensor and a GM IAT sensor drove around just fine the other day in 20 degree temps, no real change from during the summer, other than easier wheelspin due to cold road surfaces. No retune needed. Don't the AEM boxes use the same sensors?

Quoting turbowop:
While I agree with you that mafs are the way to go for daily driveability, my Maftpro setup in speed density using a 3bar GM map sensor and a GM IAT sensor drove around just fine the other day in 20 degree temps, no real change from during the summer, other than easier wheelspin due to cold road surfaces. No retune needed. Don't the AEM boxes use the same sensors?

the maftpro must have a decent program in it then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vr4play

I had speed density and I hated it. The car was fast at the track but drivability was horrible. Idle surge was so bad people would look at me crazy at a light. I also had one of the first AEM's out and it was nothing but problems. You had to keep your laptop with you at all times. If the temp changed more than a few degs the thing would not start without having to change something. Bushur played with it for a week, got us a new box and it still wouldn't work right. I switched to dsmlink and a 2g maf and everything was all good, drivability was awesome. The car was still fast enough for a daily driver too. I switched to a bigger ball bearing turbo and drivability got messed up again due to the surging back through the Maf. I switched to a maf translator and all was beautiful again. Their is a reason the V8 guys switch from map to maf. Only the import guys want to run speed density. Its alright for a drag car but I'll keep my Maf. I would like to see someone do a shootout and see which one is better. Use the same tuning software but one tunned with a maf and other with a map sensor. Would be interesting to see.

Quoting Brianawd:
Quote:
ostrich emulator

Out dated.

Go with dsmlink or aem

VPC is outdated. USB 28 pin EPROM Emulation is fairly new.

Besides, if your setup works, it works right? I won't argue that.

Personally, I am not a fan of Link because I don't like MAFs at all. Integrating the bulky blow-through MAFT into Link, and adding features that 1G EPROM editors have had for a while isn't an upgrade in my opinion. (10k RPM, full timing control)

AEM, can't shell out the money for it, plus I will never realistically utilize all the features, but gotta have speed-density.

So Native speed density is my poison. Namely Ds-map.

It has native speed density, and native WBO2 integration into the factory EPROM ECU.

No translation, no insane fees to buy or upgrade, and no ugly blow-thru MAF

2G DSMLink on the other hand? Killer!

I just can't justify 1g link when there is a better option for less investment.

GVR-4

Sorry for being off topic, but I want to know if there is a standalone engine management system out that allows the car to always be in closed loop, under any operating conditions? With cheaper wideband O2 sensors being available, this should be common by now.

I'm pretty sure the AEM can be operated in openloop. I have customers running 16.5:1 while cruising on the highway for better economy. Bith DSMLink and my chips can be run in openloop only if desired.

NateCrisman

Quoting GVR-4:
Sorry for being off topic, but I want to know if there is a standalone engine management system out that allows the car to always be in closed loop, under any operating conditions? With cheaper wideband O2 sensors being available, this should be common by now.

The AEM EMS "can" be setup to run in closed loop feedback from the wideband at any load/rpm. So YES, you can setup the table of target AF ratio for any given load/rpm and run closed loop off of that from idle to full load.

BUT if your base fuel map is all screwy, it won't work. Closed loop feedback can't substitute for incorrect tuning as there will be wild swings in AF while the feedback tries to hunt down the error between actual and target AF ratio. And all the feedback parameters have to be set perfect for it to work even remotely well. So while that hunting is going on, your motor is under heavy load and swinging too rich - too lean - too rich - too lean. May not survive many of those "too lean" swings. This is fine for low load where the motor isn't going to be hurt by the "too lean" swings. But under wot, with shifting involved where the AF reads incorrect, the feedback system is just too slow to work out well.

In the end, it's easier to just tune the fuel map correctly than it is to tune the closed loop feedback on top of a "semi good" fuel map. Plus the fact that your likely to have issues when the wideband decides to fail and the next time you go wot you have "issues".

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned