The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dsm suspention on a vr4 ?

frank1

is it a bolt on deal or are they different?

Are you referring to the shocks & springs? If so then yes. The 1g awd shock assembly is a bolt-on affair except the front springs will need to be cut by one coil if they are the stock 1g awd springs. If they are lowering springs they will not work well on the car as it would make the car sit too low.

ib4ugetbashed

fivestardsm

I never had to cut a spring on min, but I do know that the back is a little weak. If you have anything in the trunk like a system, or your battery, you might rub the fender wells.

I have a GS that the backs were getting weak, and instead of getting new rear shocks and or springs, I just put DSM springs in the front so that it would level out. It worked awesome.

belize1334

It's bolt on but it's not a perfect fit. The rear springs are a bit too short so you either have to cut the fronts to compensate or else find a way to lift the back a little. It's been suggested that you can use the 2G rear upper mount which is about an inch taller and that this will make the car ride level.

frank1

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Are you referring to the shocks & springs? If so then yes. The 1g awd shock assembly is a bolt-on affair except the front springs will need to be cut by one coil if they are the stock 1g awd springs. If they are lowering springs they will not work well on the car as it would make the car sit too low.

ib4ugetbashed

yes , shocks and springs the rear springs are lowers than front I would need to cut them even if they are lowering spings

If you don't mind mix-matching springs, you could use the dsm rear oem springs & the dsm front lowering springs. I think that would balance out the car so there'd be no cut springs.

belize1334

Remember though, that dsm suspension isn't exactly an upgrade. The springs are a TINY bit stiffer, but not enough to make much difference and the shocks are just OEM shocks. So if your suspension is dead to the world and you've got a line on a DSM setup for CHEAP then fine...but don't get caught up in thinking that you're gonna have a nice tight ride when it's over.

656of1000

I just auto-crossed my car with totally stock, uncut dsm suspension. I totally did beter than I thought I would.

The back does sit low, but it's not enough to bother me.
This picture over-exaggerates the effect.

Picture006.jpg

But in this picture, the car looks proportioned front to rear.

DSCN0237a.jpg

The car does sit lower than with the stock suspension. What do you guys think, 1" to 1.5" drop?
It's still worth doing though, as a cheap "upgrade"

The hunker is definitely less noticable with the summer rims on , sitting on that hill. Are those evo rims, painted black?

talon

I've been under the impression they would be the same as the GVR4 springs.

Sense they are not, can somebody please point me to a good set of springs that are specifically for GVR's?

Sorry for hijacking thread.

belize1334

TireRack.com sells H&R lowering springs for the GVR-4. If you search for "H&R" I'm sure you'll find lots of info.

Quoting Garfield Wright:
If you don't mind mix-matching springs, you could use the dsm rear oem springs & the dsm front lowering springs. I think that would balance out the car so there'd be no cut springs.

That is what is on my car, sits very nice

656of1000

Quoting Dbossman:
Are those evo rims, painted black?

They are 17" 2gb GSX wheels, powder coated black with a chrome lip. I think they look super on the car!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts