The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does this look like what I think it looks like?

Captn

20130831_092238.jpg
[/url][/img]

It looks like one of my pistons is cracked?

Last edited:

TylerAdamson

It appears as though we're looking down through the spark plug well and that would be the top of your piston.

transparentdsm

yeah that looks like a valve head with the edges missing.

edit: turn the crack to top dead center and poke it with a metal hanger or something to see if it moves around in here.

Last edited:

TylerAdamson

I don't think that's a valve, I think its carbon build up on the piston.

IncorpoRatedX

left side looks like carbon, right side looks clean, try checking compression... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Captn

Compression checks out, car runs like crap.... I can barely get it to move. Was doing some idle tuning and got my airrevs right and combft near 0 but as soon as I give it throttle it just about dies.

this is cylinder #1 at TDC

Last edited:

gvr4ever

If your piston was cracked, your compression wouldn't be okay. Looks like carbon build up, but in one spot?

Check fuel and spark. You can use the logger to disable fuel injectors one at a time.

transparentdsm

The dish look in the carbon made me think it was a valve. There would be 0 compression if it was a valve. Maybe some more info on the build. What kind of plugs are yoi using?

marvinmadman

Don't won't to sound stupid but you do know cylinder #1 is closest to the timing belt right?

marvinmadman

Pull the brake booster hose and see if that looks OK. I've seen a severe case when brake fluid made its way into there and caused something similar.

slugsgomoo

what's the setup mod wise, what are you logging and tuning with?

big factory gap on two step colder plugs on pump sounds like it wouldn't be that great to me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned