The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

diy pnp megasquirt over safc?

MegaSuiter

I just found one for $125 Buck and was wondering if that was a deal or not? How easy and are they better to tune than just a maft and a safc? What's everyone's opinion on pit boost controllers?
Thanks

citymunky

Better to tune with a SAFC I say yes.
Easier to tune with I would say no.

MS is a full standalone ECU, where the SAFC is just a piggyback, that allow air/fuel ratio changes.
I don't know much MS's cost new, but $125 seem cheap. In the end it will be harder to tune, a lot to learn, but IMO that's the fun.

MegaSuiter

Well I mean I don't know if I need it. I am running 16 psi, 550cc, 190lph, evolution 3 heads. And am getting a Maft and a edelbrock vara-jection. I don't think I will push it much furthers than a 4 bolt rear end and tranny work.

KiNgMaRtY

As mentioned, its definitely work and a lot to learn. With other things out there for our cars, I would not mess with MS. The MX-6/Probe guys use MS because there is no real aftermarket support for the cars

raptorWagon

Is that $125 for a assembled board? It's cheap either way, but if it's just the kit then you will have to build up the ecu board or have it done by someone that has the knowledge to do so.

If you don't want to take the time to learn MS, then pass on it and keep using a SAFC or get dsmlink or ds-map. I wouldn't say there are "better" things out there than Megasquirt, just more beginner friendly tuning components out there.

When all said and done with my rwd it will be up and running on Megasquirt.

alansupra94

Just buy a Ostrich 2.0. Same price, easier to use and has all the same features as DSMLink.

raptorWagon

Quoting MegaSuiter:
Is is the unit and harness. Should I just steal it now because it is so cheap and use it later?

If it's the Plug n play, there won't be a need for a harness, it will plug directly into the stock harness connectors. If it isn't a real PnP ecu then you need to splice into the factory harness with the MS harness.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned