The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Disconnecting WGA for dying 14b. Enter thread for janky solutions.

kumfasa

"but I doubt I will be here long enough to share any outcome"

Ohh, come on, you were really growing on me, your not leaving so soon are you. Its good to shake the tree now and again.

If you stick around I promise to join in on the fun.

Why not get away from the alternator completely. You seem resourceful enough to make ones of these yourself.

"The technology, called thermophotovoltaics, uses gasoline to heat a light-emitting material, in this case tungsten. A photovoltaic cell then converts the light into electricity. The idea has been around since the 1960s, says John Kassakian, MIT electrical engineering and computer science professor. But until now, the light emitters for the photovoltaics produced inefficient and very costly systems. Improvements in the materials used in these latest devices – possible in part because researchers can modify the material structure at the nanoscale – are now making much more efficient systems, Kassakian says.
According to Kassakian, the system could potentially be a more efficient way to power electrical systems in a vehicle than the current alternator-based one, which wastes energy in two stages: the internal combustion engine converts only about 30 percent of the energy in fuel into movement, and then the alternator is only 50 percent efficient in converting the mechanical energy into electricity. He says a small prototype thermophotovoltaics device that could confirm the system’s improved efficiency might be ready in a year."
img.php

jrtech

Quoting iceman69510:
I have done my own alternator conversion previously, and questioned my own sanity.

But points for keeping your attitude intact, and for using "ribald" in a sentence, even if not exactly applicable.

Not breaking any new ground here or pioneering uncharted part swaps, it's all self-explanatory and doesn't require any tools a budding diesel fitter wouldn't already own. This one has been around long enough that 3rd-party hosted picture links are going away. I figured I could contribute to those who like to see all the diarrhea-soaked details before pulling the trigger and mag dumping their wallet.

About my attitude. You are not in a thread titled: Check out my 8-second rotisserie build, w/ JDM air freshener group buy feeler. so I didn't expect people to look at my turd world Chinabay car and tell me how 'hella hype' everything is. Taking the piss is to be expected, we are mostly gentlemen here and have better things to do than getting defensive over things that don't further the cause.

GSTwithPSI

I'm giving you a hard time, but least you're trying to get it back on the road. That's more hella hype than jack stand ballin, which is what most VR-4s around here are doing...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
... and Colts/Mirage's .... and .... you got yours on before I did! I've only had it since before Christmas ???

Carry on, sally forth my good man!

Last edited:

jrtech

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I'm giving you a hard time, but least you're trying to get it back on the road. That's more hella hype than jack stand ballin, which is what most VR-4s around here are doing...

Quoting FlyingEagle:
... and Colts/Mirage's .... and .... you got yours on before I did! I've only had it since before Christmas ???

Carry on, sally forth my good man!

Thanks guys, I don't need the attaboys but everybody enjoys hearing it. It's not like I have a choice. There is an advantage from living on top of a mountain, I can coast my mountain bike all the way to the store to buy groceries. There is also a disadvantage.

But it ain't fixt yet. Belts don't get here until Monday, pigtail came today though. R0ckaut0 is a tricky shipper.

I fooled around a little bit with my collection of Ford pulleys and found a BBK set that I swapped out when I did a 2g to 3g upgrade in the Mustang. I think all the Ford pulleys I have are smaller diameter than the ND pulley but larger than the Camaro so it gives me options for alternator speed and belt fitment.

Once this baby is in the basement I will advise.

jrtech

Updating this for anyone who cares. Phone changed a setting and refused to talk to mail server for emails and I didn't see much point in talking about my junk without pics. Stick that in your innuendo thread.

Oh no! Aluminium bracket!? That will never hold up!

Next pic shows clearance using PS belt for scale.

The tension adj. bolt needed whacked off 3/8" bc I bent it too close. Bent properly this can be avoided.

The BAT terminal ALMOST rubs the coolant hose, it may become an issue depending on variables in pulley size, belt length, cobbled together bracket, etc.

I used a '91 Acura Legend belt 378 . The pulley I went with has a Ford P/N probably off a early-nineties Taurus or Cougar slightly smaller in diameter to the Camaro. With both stock fans on HI with headlights and fogs I measured 14.00v @ idle with stock wiring.

Car feels like a Corolla now with none of the handling. Or economy. Or power.

Please clap.

Last edited:

jrtech

I forgot you digeridoos and kiwis aren't up to speed on Ameristani politics.

Please clap

JondoeVR4

Ingenuity, FTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

jrtech

Thanks guy! Like I said I didn't invent it, I am like Clock-boy. I took a pile of parts and made them work to scare the sh*t out of people.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts