The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Disconnecting WGA for dying 14b. Enter thread for janky solutions.

jrtech

Background: 14b is giving up the ghost. Times are tough. No tuner or logger. Stock MAF. Let´s get janky.

When I disconnect the waste gate actuator and drivability goes all French, is it helpful to adjust the CAS to get more timing advance?

citymunky

I know what I see is English, but I not understanding anything you are saying.

jrtech

Let me try to articulate a little better. I´ve been blazing through searches, guides, how-tos, etc. brainstorming about how to fix this situation and I forgot how to speak to people.

Trying to bypass the turbo so she will hold together. I want to give myself the best chance to climb the mountains here. I can use a timing light and manipulate the CAS to advance the base timing.

I have no way to view knock or total advance. I figure the ECU will retard if it knocks, if not I can listen to the soothing sounds of popcorn kernels in the engine before I call a tow truck.

Any tips?

highrpm666

So from what I've gathered you are disconnecting the waste gate actuator arm from the lever on the o2 housing to limit boost and in turn you want to advance base timing to gain a bit of power.....?

fuel

even if the turbo is on the way out I wouldn't bother disconnecting the actuator - the turbo will still spool and if the oil seals are shot it will still be burning/leaking oil.

jrtech

That was my plan. I don´t know if the ECU will lay back and let it happen, or if it will think it´s at 5* BTDC. I have never seen a timing advance table and don´t know the operation.

jrtech

Quoting fuel:
even if the turbo is on the way out I wouldn't bother disconnecting the actuator - the turbo will still spool and if the oil seals are shot it will still be burning/leaking oil.

Leaking/smoking is fine. She smokes bad when I give her beans on the hill climbs here. I may take the MBC off and directly use the WGA, but it makes 12PSI currently. If I can prevent a catastrophe I will try. No idea how long I have to drive it like this.

fuel

My point is whether your engine is receiving the boost or not.. it's not going to make a damn difference. If your turbo boosts yet while smoking - disconnecting the wastegate arm and letting it bypass isn't going to prevent failure. May as well enjoy the boost while you have it.

gvr4ever

The engine doesn't really have the compression to run well without a turbo. It will be dog slow. Fix your turbo. That is the only real solution. Your ideal sounds band-aid-ish at best.

jrtech

My thanks to transparentdsm for the huge favor at his own expense.

I am sure Tucson despises following my car in traffic. Drive too slow they tailgate and get frustrated. Maintain flow of traffic and they get the smokescreen. Just helping to build the status of our brand.

jrtech

Looks like someone swapped the turbine housing at some point with a MHI 7cm. Makes sense. The P.O. was a huge DSM guy. Less is more when you sell a car I guess.

Edit: Looks like I did not have a 14b. This compressor wheel is bigger. Car feels exactly the same as my previous 91 that was showroom stock.

Last edited:

jrtech

Looks like a 17c wheel based on precise measurement with a carpenter's square. Too bad the car has none of the supporting mods except for fuel pump.

turbowop

Trying to jankify an old turbo Mitsu you're using to daily drive is just asking for it. Either fix the turbo, or get a car that runs well now and requires less maintenance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

fuel

Quoting jrtech:
Looks like a 17c wheel based on precise measurement with a carpenter's square. Too bad the car has none of the supporting mods except for fuel pump.

I run a 20G on a stock JDM Evolution with no real 'supporting mods', which I guess would be the stock 510cc injectors, larger FMIC/piping and different MAF/ECU combination. Seems to run fine.

Imjordan

I uave a good stock turbo if you need it.

jrtech

Quoting turbowop:
Trying to jankify an old turbo Mitsu you're using to daily drive is just asking for it. Either fix the turbo, or get a car that runs well now and requires less maintenance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

You are so cool. Thanks for the advice! How is your magazine car?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts