The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

de-winged, how to get that stuff off the mounting spots

I got bored last night at about 11:30pm and decide to see how Sophia looked wingless, and I kinda like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but at the mounting spots on the trunk, theres all kinds of light color stuff that's presumably built up through the years... i'm not much of a bodywork guy, lol, what do you guys think would work best to get it off?

Hittman

use alot of soap, or you may want to dwell in the area of Goo-Gone, but be careful to use water and soap to wash any remaining liquid off.

IncorpoRatedX

step one: go to junk yard
step two: buy wingless trunk
step three: install
step four: ?????

^
Step four: Spray it in desired color
Step five: decide it isn't what you've wanted
Step six: Reinstall the wing on the trunk
Step seven: Install the trunk on the car
Step eight: look at it and be happy that you've got such a nice, decent spoiler. Vtec people/ricers envy you.

Youre worried about the mounting goo but not the holes from where it mounts? That would look worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

IncorpoRatedX

i just picked up my newly sprayed wingless trunk today. wingless ftw.

SmoothCustomer

Yeah I would either get a wingless trunk from a lower model Galant or at least weld up the bolt holes and fill them.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting Alpha Male:
step one: go to junk yard
step two: buy wingless trunk
step three: install
step four: ?????

Mine was 25$ at the junkyard, just need to get it sprayed, easy install and everything.
-shamus

IncorpoRatedX

yeah mine was $25 as well and there's another one in the local yard.

I've got lots of body parts in our community parts collection; a couple trunks, one with a wing and one w/o, I think there's evo 3 wing laying around somewhere too. got fenders, grills, a hood and some various 1g & 2g talon eclipse and laser parts sitting around. at one point the garage looked like a chop shop. LAWL! now we're starting to collect some mighty max items since they're becoming hard to find.

Quoting galantgti:
^
Step four: Spray it in desired color
Step five: decide it isn't what you've wanted
Step six: Reinstall the wing on the trunk
Step seven: Install the trunk on the car
Step eight: look at it and be happy that you've got such a nice, decent spoiler. Vtec people/ricers envy you.

i like the wingless lol, and i'm gonna keep the mounting holes, I'll put some of those black rubber things in em (not really noticeable unless you're up close, and by the time your that close, that'll be the best looking part of the paint/bodywork /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Junior392

Wash the area with soap and water, use a clay bar to pick up bigger particles while the area is wet, than buff area with a compound, repeat clay bar motion if necessary, then wax to shine. You should get the result of what you are looking for. Minus the exposing mounting holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts