The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dammit... just got her rollin again...

Epifool

Ok. Long story short- rear diff locked up last nite, thankfully less than 2 miles from home. All i wanna know is, does anyone have a good 4 bolt rear clip they wanna swap for a good rear clip with aws, all the parts are there on my spare car. Also, would like to hear from someone who has re-installed aws, need to know how hard/long that process was. Whoever said getting mitsu's and modding them, then using them for dd's was fun- that guy l /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gified.. All input welcome!

toybreaker

iconoclast
... sure it isn;t the t-case that locked up?

Drop the driveshaft and see what's what before buying/swapping anything!

James

Man I must have the best luck ever. While I've never gone to far past the 350hp mark or the crazy mods mark... I've owned 10 turbo mitsus and zero of them have left me stranded or been JSB for more than a day

LIV4PSI

I don't understand what you are asking about reinstalling the 4WS. Just put the 4 bolt internals into your stock diff case, and done. It sounds like you want to swap to a DSM rear subframe and then reinstall all the 4WS stuff. If so, the mounting spots will be missing for several things.

Epifool

Thanks toybreaker, i'd forgotten that. If it the tcase then no biggie, i have another. May save a few weeks downtime!!

turbowop

If it winds up being the xfer case, figure out why it locked up. If it was lack of fluid, figure out where it leaked. If it leaked from the yoke, replace that sh*t with a recall yoke kit ASAP.

mitsuturbo

Quoting epifool:
Thanks toybreaker, i'd forgotten that. If it the tcase then no biggie, i have another. May save a few weeks downtime!!

Don't be so sure. When a Tcase locks up, it can break a whole bunch of other sh*t along with it. Center diff for one. If it was the Tcase, you may have gotten lucky and that's all that broke, but more often than not at least one rear axles snaps as well (at least if it's a 3 bolt rear).

Epifool

Well, if thats the case, i may just find somewhere to get her outta the weather, and pull the aws rear off 1025, and start assembling the pieces i lack to swap the front to 5 lug hubs (the rear on 1025 is swapped already, but the front bearings were bad on it, so i'll have to get new one) and pull the whole driveshaft. I guess al i can do is hope the transmission didnt get broke along with the tcase.

Epifool

Just a question, for the guys who've seen the dark side of our cars... What all am i lookin at, as far as possible broken stuff? I know my xfer case leakd at the rear seal. Do i need to pull the cover off my rear diff now?

pot

Staff member
Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting epifool:

Don't be so sure. When a Tcase locks up, it can break a whole bunch of other sh*t along with it. Center diff for one. If it was the Tcase, you may have gotten lucky and that's all that broke, but more often than not at least one rear axles snaps as well (at least if it's a 3 bolt rear).

That was exactly the case with me two years ago when my transfercase locked up. The output shaft was shredded as was the rear driver side axle. I pulled the diff cover and thoroughly cleaned the diff with purple power, brake cleaner, brush, and retractable magnet to pull all the bits of twisted metal.

Epifool

Thanks for the additional info, Pot- i have a whole other driveshaft, tcase, and rear- the rear is an aws one, could i use that whole rear clip, without the aws lines, and other bits? I really just wanna drive it, dont matter if it turns at both ends!!

pot

Staff member
No problem but thank mitsuturbo -I'm just adding to what he said. I understand you have several bits of hardware to install hoping to get you back on the road. To answer your question, yes, you can use the whole rear clip and simply connect your pre-existing hardware. However, the important thing to do is:

1.) Be patient and identify what caused your vehicle to lock up in the first place.
2.) I would suggest getting your vehicle jacked and suspend all four wheels the ground
3.) Perform a diagnostic check by hand spinning each wheel while looking/listening/feeling for an impediment

*This should help to narrow down whether this is the transfer case or the rear differential.

4.) Either focus your attention at resolving the concern or report back your results for assistance

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned