The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom IC piping, any one pulled it off?

sleepyvr4

holy hell dime2nr! mandrel piping isn't that expensive. It would take you a month to do all those welds!

dime2nr

it did take me about a month to finish the pipes but i wanted something alittle bit different plus its was really good practice for my stainless welding cert i took right after i got done with them. totaled over 70 tig welded joints in the pipes.

Last edited:

number3

Better that mandrel bends? I wouldn't go that far... but it does take a lot of time and energy to pull it off and is "different."

The best part that he did it himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I assume the system was pressure checked for leaks. It is very easy to have a pin hole in a weld and there are a lot of welds there. (This where the liquid metal comes in real handy.)

jogalant

I'm doing an FMIC conversion on my GT-Four right now and bought straight aluminum pipes from this guy. He's got the lowest prices, hands down, plus he'll cut to whatever length you want up to 4 feet so it's not expensive shipping-wise. Anything longer than that and UPS increases shipping cost, he said.

He cut me 8 feet of pipe, in 2-foot sections, for around $37.00. I forget his shipping cost but it was very reasonable.

http://stores.ebay.com/Velocity-Air

haha been a while since someone replied in this post. i just have a few questions for those of you who have successfully pulled off custom piping. first of all, could any of you guys be nice enough to post what pieces you used and what length you used? (90 degree bend, 6 inches, etc.) be as specific as you can please. pictures would be great too. thanks so much in advance.

search for FMIC and my username. You will find a huge post that will be pretty helpful and full of pictures...

Polish

Every car is going to be different too. Depends on the turbo you have, what kind of outlet (pipe) and size it uses. What size intercooler you have, where the outlets are located, what size they are, and so on. Also what kind of Throttle body elbow you choose. Also if you are using a 2g/3g Maf or a Blow Through Maf sensor. What kind of BOV you use and where it needs to mount. Also what kind of intake pipe you are running, because the intercooler pipes need to clear it. If you are using a Maf on the intake you need to have a BOV return pipe on it, obviously. So the BOV flange will need to be welded in a spot where the recirculation pipe can be routed without interference. Sure you could try to mimic someones setup closely but unless you have an identical setup there is not going to be a set list of parts.

If you have an intercooler with inlets facing the rear of the car you can do simple short route pipes. For the intercooler to TB pipe you really only need a 45 degree bend coming from the IC and a 90 degree bend for a TB Elbow. Then about 2ft or so of piping along with a TB flange and a BOV flange.

Depending on your turbo the outlet pipe will be up to you. You can probably get away with a 45 degree bend coming from the IC, the same as the other side. Then a 90 degree bend towards the turbo. Like I said depending on the turbo your outlet pipe location will be different but with the pipe from the IC pipe right there you can just match them up with whatever bend or straight connector or reducer you need.

If you have a side to side style intercooler like me it gets more complicated. I would have preferred short route but this is what I have. For my IC to TB pipe it will have a 45 degree bend on the TB welded to a straight piece that ends right above where the stock battery fits. It will then 90 degree down through a hole I have to cut. It will then have another 90 Degree bend going forwards to the front of the car. Yet another 90 Degree bend will be welded to that and end right at the IC outlet. Yes there are 3 90 degree bends and a 45 degree bend in the UICP alone, if someone knows a better way short of modifying the IC please chime in.

The Turbo to IC pipe is not quite as bad. It will come out of the IC and make 1 180 degree bend around the core support and then run under the turbo right behind the radiator. It will end right below the compressor housing and connect to a 2G style J-Pipe on the 16G with a single 90 Degree connector.

I know this an Ultra long route piping and will cost me a little extra power but oh well. It will have minimal connectors to blow off and will be all 2.5" piping.

dime2nr

10' straight stainless 2.5 inch tube
1 1.5-2.5in reduces
3/8 stainless plate to cut flanges
18 inches straight 2.5 radiator hose
and alot of time and paitience

ok i found out more specifics for my exact setup. i beliiieve i have the following:
-a fuso intercooler? small npr
img.php

-a 2g throttle elbow
-14b

so what exactly would i need? im thinking of just getting a +$100 pipe kit off ebay. the problem is i dont know what bends i will not have enough of.

by the way both the inlets face towards the engine and are at the very bottom of the intercooler.

Hey that looks like my front bumper... except my IC isn't hung upside down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! Just kidding man. Why do you want to change it. Does it still use alot of stock pieces??

nah i have custom ic pipes right now. but theyre really poorly made. the last bend on the upper ic pipe is so bad that it scrape on the floor when i go over a bump. hehe.

so i pulled out my old upper ic pipe today, and it is destroyed. haha. there were so many dents and whatnot, most of the pipe is no longer a circle, i think its taken more of an oval shape to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

so looking at my lower ic pipe left me kinda confused. should this be a smaller diameter pipe? and what bends? i think the way it is now it goes from partially the stock ic piping to 2.5. its pretty banged up too so ill have to redo that one too.

I had the sbr race 1g kit on my car for a day (borrowed it from my brother). I had to move the radiator to the drivers side a little and do some minor trimming. I also had to bend the mounting bracket on the intercooler a bit. It actually fits pretty well. The inlet pipe should ideally be angled inward about 15-20 degrees for a galant and be about 2-3" shorter, for clearance. I have a jdm bumper so I don't have any idea how it would fit with a us bumper.

here is my "custom" piping, and what i would say is the best way to mount an NPR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
oh, by the way... the ic is level, it's the car thats not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

haha. that makes so much more sense. i was just thinking the other day, why would you point the inlets down? makes it so much harder. maybe ill have to look into that. what are you using to hold the ic up? just a few brackets?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned