The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant sensor thread on radiator

jepherz

Staff member
Anybody know what the thread is on the coolant sensor on the lower tank of the radiator? I have an evo3 radiator that I need to make a bung for and would like to grab the tap before I'll have another chance to look at the sensor.

jepherz

Staff member
For anyone looking, I found that the thread pitch was 16x1.5.

The reason I was asking was that I purchased an Ebay evo 3 radiator which didn't have the coolant sensor bung on it. I believe this was first tested by Bimmubishi many years ago.

I also found that the radiator was about 3/4" short, so I turned some delrin extended lower bushings to raise the radiator up to stock position.

curtis

Jeff I guess you thought of it already but just build a lower hose out of aluminum or stainless and weld on a bung there. I did the same thing for my Scirocco radiator and also welded on a -6 so I have a drain

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, that was a possibility too. I just drilled a hole in the stock location though and welded it permanently in the lower tank for a gvr4 aluminum radiator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adorsey

I recently bought a half sized radiator without a port for the sensor, I was trying to get it welded in but I didn't know of anyone to weld aluminum.
I spent like 4 bucks for a reducer fitting at ACE hardware, and had to modify it just a bit for it to thread in, but it did. And I am just using the drain plug for the port. I have a picture of this, I will try and post up for further reference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned