The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

confused

thecannoliman121

so I was having power problems. and I changed the timing a bit through the crank angle adjuster. put it at 13 degrees. and it was running great. we took it down the road and then all of a sudden the timing went. it was all belts and bearings and what not. I re built the entire engine. all the timing marks were right on. and I have no clue no clue why this would happen. anyone have any clues. I havnt looked at it yet so im just looking for things when I do take it apart... again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

prove_it

Uh, sounds like you ran way too much timing and blew the engine..

More info on build please. Can't figure things out without knowing what is modded.

JCorbo25

So the timing belt let loose? I'm having trouble following what issue you are having currently.

thecannoliman121

I have for upgrades.
-255 walbro pump
-750 injextors
-DSM link chip
-16g tdo5h turbo
-Wideband o2
-2g mas
-boost gauge
-high performance pistons and shaft
-new timing assembly

It is a completely rebuilt engine. All fresh sh*t. Torqued down and everything. New gaskets. Better head bolts. I looked at the data log and saw that it peeked at 17 knock . that's the only thing I saw wrong in the log

prove_it

-high performance pistons and shaft

What shaft? Elaborate

Also what compression? Did you use OEM parts or aftermarket parts? Do you have an oil leak under the Timing cover that soaked the belt?

I'm guessing improper t-belt tension from wrong install, or a failed tensioner.

The fact that you set the base timing to 13* really says a lot. Please don't take offense, but that should have been your clue something was way way way way off. That's 8* off. On a stock 1g map that would put you close to 30* timing at WOT. 2G maps would push 26*. Way too much even on C16 or straight ethanol.

prove_it

Quoting thecannoliman121:
And my issue is that as of right now I know the timing Skipped. Haven't torn that apart yet

Also on a Tech note: Never ever assume something until you comfirm your suspicion.

transparentdsm

i agree, why was it at 18* and why would you even drive it if you had to put it to 18* for it to run. the head is probably destroyed and will need another rebuild. at this point start with compression and make sure that still lines up across the board. go from there.

prove_it

Do that after you confirm the timing is right. Compression test with timing off will kill compression, and valves.

transparentdsm

well if the timing is off everything is screwed anyway because he was running it and drove it, but yeah your right he should make sure the timing marks are on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts