The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

confirm this formula for gvr4 exhaust

Kibby

Cm performance downpipe, 3" cat, 1g catback modified to extend xx inches to cat=full exhaust?? Its a hks hi power. I raised the car and it looks like everything lines up.

coyotes

That is pretty much how I fit a 1g turboback to my car. Didn't have to modify any hangers, just lengthened it about 9 inches. Worked out perfect because I welded in a high flow cat. I had to do some other modifications, rotated some of the pipe for a bit better fitment

Kibby

Ok sounds good. I was just a bit sketchy with the angle for the catback

coyotes

your results may vary, I had to rotate the muffler a little bit on the elbow pipe going into it, and also rotated the downpipe to make things fit better. Was worth the work, my exhaust is very straight compared to some others I have seen out there. I need to take it back off though to make it two pieces (it's all one long pipe) and put in a new flex section.

It's not too bad at all, but takes a day to figure out fitment and weld everything. I also painted mine black after all was said and done.

Kibby

I was going to get a custom downpipe then just get them to mod up the catback but there response was "we dont do those kind of angles for an exhaust." What a shame. They must have changed owners or they guy just didnt care cuz ive gone there a few times and they used to be a reputable shop. I opted for the custom pipe since they wanted to charge 150 to fix the oem flex section. Oh well loss for them.

desant78

What turbo are you running? I believe I got a 2g downpipe because the 1g downpipe with amy e3 16g and e3 02 housing caused clearence issues with my transfer case. Search the forum, because I use a thread to verify that I need the 2g downpipe to clear.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Kibby:
I was going to get a custom downpipe then just get them to mod up the catback but there response was "we dont do those kind of angles for an exhaust." What a shame. They must have changed owners or they guy just didnt care cuz ive gone there a few times and they used to be a reputable shop. I opted for the custom pipe since they wanted to charge 150 to fix the oem flex section. Oh well loss for them.

Holy crap. $150 just to replace a flex section? This is why i bought a decent (Lincoln) MIG welder and did my own exhaust. The welder paid for itself with just the one job.

Kibby

Atm itll be a 16g on the stock o2 but ill be switching to the evo o2. And before anyone says anything. I ran a evo o2 with an apex downpipe on my 1g. It hit nothing. The plan is a fp manifold, swapping to my ported 16g with a known ~2000 miles, current turbo is unknown mileage, evo 02 cm downpipe 3" high flow cat and modded 1g hks hi power cat back. Hate that its not 3" by personally I love how it sounded on my 1g and I cant beat a free cat back. Hopefully this will help the 11-20+ boost spikes at wot lol.

prove_it

Don't forget the important ingredient for the exhuast formula:

New brand name gaskets and stainless bolts, washers and nuts.

Kibby

Everything is from fp hardware wise. Trust me im not cheaping out. Sept 2012 I paid a transmission company over 1200$ to rebuild my crx transmission. Why becuz 50+mpg....and the hf is its own model of honda partswise.

Kibby

Im gonna have to take some pics whenever its not raining and I have more day light. On the ground under the car the catback seemed to line up perfect aside from needing to be lengthened. I just tried to work my way back to front and was only able to get the mufler hanger and one of the dual hangers behind the muffler on. Then further up the dual hanger right after the cat doesnt reach both by lenth to it and the spread. Idk maybe its hitting something. Insomia sucks when you dont have a garage or good lighting at 9pm lol.

Kibby

Sorry for the delay. Rain and wet driveway issues. So I got it off the ground so I could work under it. The muffler seems too far to the right and is puahing against the lip where the oem muffler goes under. It barely clears the rear end. Looks like the hangers are being stretched bad. The rod after the resonator needs to be moved up a few inches. The dual hangers need to be moved up to where the exhaust extension is going to be. Seems good to me. Maybe some hanger rod relocations. I spun the images to the right and it still turned them left... I give up.

GSTwithPSI

Looks like you just need to cut off the hangers and start new. Do you have a welder? I'm located in Annapolis, if you need some help. My welder would probably do the job.

Kibby

I gotta get with my buddy hes got a little welder. Idk if the car would make it that far lol. Not a super rush. Just posting progress before she goes full jsb. Trying to piece it all together so its ready when i rebuild it all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned