The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

compression test results from 394/2000

Nartanian

Low compression... Now you can crank the boost some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Muskrat

Do a leakdown test. My guess would be valve seals, but that's based on almost nothing.

Need more info.

Barnes

Valve seals do nothing to help compression. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Launch

What is the problem? ...still completely within serviceable limits....
Shep ran almost 190mph with a motor that ran 65ish cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In what way did the gauge needle move? Steady, 90+ on the first try? Did you try a veeery small amount of oil to test the rings?
Stock Mitsu shortblocks arnt given the respect they have earned

91vr4394

Actually there arn't any problems just wanted to test it.And yes it went straight to 90+ not sure exactly where but they were all above 90 on the 1st crank..I didn't try a little bit of oil

Launch

... The cyl with low compression should be tested cold first;
-add oil (teaspoon or 2), re-do comp test: Does comp increase?
Repeat the same test with engine fully warm.
Report back to us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alansupra94

I thought you were suppose to test a motor after it warmed up?

Thats at least what I was taught.

mikus

just to put it out there, are you sure this gauge is good? Teh last one I bought read about 25% under straight out the box - freaked me out on first use.

Unfortunately it was 6M after buying, so there goes $$ boo

91vr4394

I'll get a new gauge and try..I will let you guys know the results..The car runs great.No smoke.It's got a brand new head was like that when I got it..I dont know why they never changed rings or anything..I would have.

Rausch

Quoting turbowop:
I wouldn't worry about those results unless you were gonna try to break some records.

+ this- Those #s are fine. A little low, but all close enough to each other not to be an issue.

And you can test it warm or cold- Cold is obviously easier, but your #s will be a bit lower than they would warm. In any case, you have a good idea of where you are with either.

Quote:
It's got a brand new head was like that when I got it..I dont know why they never changed rings or anything..I would have.

- Rebuilding the cylinder head and rebuilding the bock are two different animals. It's not a matter of just throwing rings in the thing. MAtter of fact- That alone probably would not net dramatic results... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Also, I don't remember if it makes a difference or not, but in addition to doing this test at full operating temp, the accelerator pedal should be floored during cranking as well to allow air into the motor.

Nartanian

Quoting turbowop:
I wouldn't worry about those results unless you were gonna try to break some records.

Yup. My cousins 1g has 130 across the board and it's kicking just fine without any issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned