The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Complete tear-down and rebuild?

ScreaminE

How many cars that we know of on the board has had similiar treatment? I am seriously thinking of doing this to 1267 if I can't sell it but I would like to know how many of you have tried/completed? How much do you estimate this would cost. It would be more of a resto-mod project with mild performace build.

I am thinking this would be a 5-10 year commitment honestly with my budget/schedule but I think I love love to have a classic restored Japanese car in that time.

NateCrisman

It is hard work, you'll spend double your original estimate, and quadruple your original labor time estimate.

But it is totally worth doing if you don't want a heap dsm.

boostedinaz

I haven't done it yet, but my next Galant will be built this way. As mentioned the cost most likely go way over what you estimated. The few cars I have torn way down and brough back only made it because I was super anal about labeling and bagging every and anything.

What ever you do please to half ass little things. I have seen a few cars that have been built from the ground up and certain little things get looked over. I never understood the desriee to take a car this far apart and then half ass little things.

atc250r

Staff member
I'm kind of doing that but in sections. I've got the shell here with no motor or trans in it. Before I put the new motor in I am going to re-do a bunch of stuff up front. The front suspension, subframe, and crossmembers are out. I've already cleaned and painted the subframe as well as picked up the urethane bushings for it. I'll be glass beading the control arms and the very front crossmember tomorrow. Then its time to pick up some POR-15 for that stuff, it isn't cheap but I know it works really well. All the bushings in the front end will be replaced with urethane as the front end and suspension go back together. Once that stuff is done and the motor/trans is in I'm going to tackle the rear subframe, fuel tank, and stuff back there. Once those are done I'll move on to the interior. Then maybe next year the car will be at a point where I can think about having it painted. Nate's car came out beautiful and even before I saw it in person it gave me something to shoot for. He's lucky in that he has a great garage with a lift that is also well stocked with tools.

John

JNR

This car would not be worth it to me to completely tear it apart and do a PROPER "rebuild", although it would be neat...Mines in good enough shape where I don't have to, although I would like to pull the rear 'subframe assembly' and POR-15 or powdercoat it and such; things like that...

I like the (original) factory paint and especially in the engine compartment/doorjambs, hidden spots, etc...To do it right is not as easy as it looks and many of the full "restos" I see do not look good in the details (nice paint job, rusty bolts/brackets, etc.).

turbowop

1051 was pretty much done in sections as well. I never took it all apart at once, but over a couple years, pulled apart the main subsections and cleaned and recoated it all. It's taken 11 years to get it to where it is now, and I get sh*t all the time for not wanting to drive it in rain or snow or down gravel roads. Too much time/money/effort spent to want to mess up all that work. Besides, that's what 503 is for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Did Harry do all the undercarriage as well though? From the pics I've seen, it doesn't look like it. To me, it looked like he went through a teardown to to a nice respray in Corvette black, redo the trunk area, and paint the engine bay, but left out anything under the car. I think Nate Crisman did a more thorough tear down than Harry did. I'm basing this from pics though, so maybe I'm wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Does Larry Parker's teardown and rebuild count? He did everything down to square one, but he built it back up for rally. So perhaps not quite the same.

blacksheep

Quoting turbowop:
Did Harry do all the undercarriage as well though? From the pics I've seen, it doesn't look like it. To me, it looked like he went through a teardown to to a nice respray in Corvette black, redo the trunk area, and paint the engine bay, but left out anything under the car. I think Nate Crisman did a more thorough tear down than Harry did. I'm basing this from pics though, so maybe I'm wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

When I saw the car when visiting, it was pretty much a shell. I know Harry replaced plastic, weatherstripping and a bunch of other stuff. I am not sure of the underneath, I think he had it repainted as well, I could be wrong...Maybe the new owner can chime in.

I know JCgalant is also underway with his re-build - Last I knew car was all painted. He had it all mediablasted on a rottisere and painted blurple!

atc250r

Staff member
Nate was fortunate enough to start with a VERY clean shell with only 87,000 miles on it.

turbowop

I was fortunate in that respect as well. My car has zero rust and was fairly clean to start with. I can't imagine having to start a rebuild with some of the cancer ridden shells I've seen.

fivestardsm

Even if you the car does have spots of moderate rust through out the body, its not really such a big deal if you are going to do a complete resto mod. My #27 is very very clean, except where the inner fender well and fender met right infront of the door, but the repair was easy. I still havent decided if I am going to do a full tear down of it, or just a complete paint.

I wish I had a rotiserie

raptorWagon

I would like more than anything to do a full restore on 1350. I could garauntee the rear end would lose a good portion, but that will have to wait till I get a house. For now I'm doing what I can, almost got all the rusted components attached to the rear replaced. Everything from trailing arms to rear diff. To upgrade my fuel pump, I have to replace the whole fuel tank to give you an idea.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned