The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Collector Plates

so let me get this straight, by having a collector plate that would make you exempt from emissions and vehicle inspections?

steve

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Quoting TinyVR4:
I dont have much in the way of contact info:
Dan Constantiniu is the "Vehicle Case Manager"
888-648-7820 is the MMNA nubmer
That is all i have

I bet $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that guy is Romanian. I'm going to call him and talk Romanian to him and see what he has to say.

WIN

JNR

Only 1 sextillion dollars? Cheap. I'll raise you to 3.8 centillion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Check on limitations with collector plates, if you plan to drive it more than a couple thousand a year and/or beyond what they deem "special" events. Varies by state, but sometimes they are restrictive.

Rausch

Quoting 1457gvr4:
so let me get this straight, by having a collector plate that would make you exempt from emissions and vehicle inspections?

In simple terms, yes.

My cop buddy is Romanian too, so maybe we flood this guy with 'native' calls.

slugsgomoo

Quoting JNR:
Only 1 sextillion dollars? Cheap. I'll raise you to 3.8 centillion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Check on limitations with collector plates, if you plan to drive it more than a couple thousand a year and/or beyond what they deem "special" events. Varies by state, but sometimes they are restrictive.

In WA they limit it to pleasure driving, special events, etc.

Basically no for-hire use, and no general transportation, though if you daily drove it to work a couple days a week, I doubt anyone would get wise.

The fact that you never have to renew tabs makes you emissions exempt essentially, and you get RETARDED cheap collector insurance. They'll be stricter on mileage limits than the state anyway.

WA limits it to vehicles 30 years old and older, so I have an inquiry in with them as to whether or not there are any exceptions, assuming for instance paperwork detailing rarity & whatnot.

JNR

I don't think mexicommifornia would offer such a thing for something this 'new' (1992), regardless of limited production, but could be wrong. Even if they did, they sure wouldn't exempt you from smog tests and/or registration fees, etc.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 'historical plates' but they have been on really old cars (like pre WWII). I don't even think the chevelle would qualify (1971), but could be wrong. Would be nice to have some exemptions on the VR-4. (I don't have to get the 'velle smogged, but technically supposed to have all the equipment on; which is really only the PCV and hot-air recirc into oem air cleaner...Mine didn't have an air pump and cats came out in '75)

I agree about still being able to DD once in awhile, provided you didn't get pulled over or caught somewhere you're not supposed to be (street races). We don't have vehicle inspections here (kind of wish we did on some of the stuff I see on the road), so state mileage tracking wouldn't be an issue, but the insurance company *may* want some sort of proof now and again.

Last edited:

Rausch

Oh, FYI.. In OH you cannot get collector or special plates on teh vehicle if it is the only vehicle you own. It cannot be your primary source of transpo.

Rausch

Noes, not yet. I have the paperwork, but did not own another car until later, when this one sploded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Diego

im going to do this.. what information sides my vin should i have on hand to tell this guy that im a 91 l.e vr4?

littleb

^^ just explain your situation that you need a letter for the dmv to get collector plates for the car then give them the vin and you should be good.

raptorWagon

if this helps anyone from WI as far as trying to get collector plates...

taken from dot.wisconsin.gov

- License number is assigned to the owner for as long as you own the collector vehicle. A letter suffix is added to the number i.e., 1A, etc. for subsequent collector vehicles owned by the same person. Registration does not expire.
- To qualify for Collector plates, each owner must have at least one other motor vehicle, which is used for regular transportation, and is currently registered in Wisconsin under the same name(s) as the collector vehicle.
- Truck type vehicles with Collector plates cannot haul more than 500 pounds.
- Collector plates cannot be personalized.
- Collector vehicles cannot be operated during January unless a temporary plate is purchased. A five-consecutive-day plate may be purchased by sending form MV2750 with the correct fee to the address provided on the form.
- Street modified vehicles, replicas, homemade motorized vehicles or vehicles that have been altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications do NOT qualify.

However, Hobbyist plates may be a better way to go, if you can't get a collector plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Andy_S

^yep. If its modified in any way you will want hobbyist plates. They are one time cost as well. I suppose that the only advantage here would be the cost and lower insurance because WI dropped emission compliance for 95 and older (non obdII vehicles.)

CarRacer

Hypothetical Situation:

If someone were to scan the letter Mitsu sent and deleted any specific information. I know someone with a printing press (who looks remarkably like me) who could produce some blank letterhead, so we could imprint whatever we wanted.

This is all a hypothetical situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

JNR

Just be careful with any 'modifications' if it'll be used for something official, so to speak. Not worth it, IMO. Why couldn't they just accept an actual photocopy of this letter as being a source of reference? The fact there were 2008 units doesn't change and if supplemented with other readily available documentation, pictures (badge), etc. for the 1992 MY inquiries and a letter written by the applicant, why wouldn't they, provided it falls in the state's requirements.

But really, other than for fun, I wouldn't recommend messing around with letterhead documentation and VIN numbers and so on. I know it sounds silly, but they can get real anal on that sort of stuf and it ruins it for legitimate cases.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting raptorreed:

- Street modified vehicles, replicas, homemade motorized vehicles or vehicles that have been altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications do NOT qualify.

Not sure how strict they are on this one though. My best friend had a 911 he had collector plates on. The engine was from a later 911 and he grafted on the widebody flares in steel too. He did not have a problem getting the plate as far as I know, and his car was certainly "altered from original manufacturer's specifications".

The WI collector law is cool because the only restriction is that January deal.

Andy_S

^Depends on the person doing the inspection. If it looks like it could be factory they won't have a problem. If you pop the hood and there is tons of polished and chromed out parts, you would be best getting a hobbyist plate. Anyways, here in wisconsin the vehicle has to be 20 years old or more to be eligible for collector plates.

Quoting JNR:
Why couldn't they just accept an actual photocopy of this letter as being a source of reference? The fact there were 2008 units doesn't change and if supplemented with other readily available documentation, pictures (badge), etc. for the 1992 MY inquiries and a letter written by the applicant, why wouldn't they, provided it falls in the state's requirements.

They're not going to accept anything that doesn't include the exact VIN of the car in question. Doesn't matter in the least to them if your car is just like the one that Mitsubishi says is one of 2008 special editions, they want something that says your exact VIN is one of 2008 special editions. State governments are very anal about VIN's.

The car is not my daily driver (i have a 2005 TDI Golf DD). I only really drove my 1991 maybe 1000 miles per year. Noone gave me crap about it. I just can not pass the E-check in OH even with a Cat on the car.
When i got my Collector plates for the 1991 noone asked for any inspection and it definitely was not "stock". I am sure that each state has a different set of rules.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned