The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch slipping when cold out?

sixsixtwo

Hey guys, The past few days in Minnesota have been absolutely brutal. It's been below zero and last night was hovering right around -13 last night. I was driving my gsx last night and when I hit boost right around 4k the engine would free rev a bit. I have a stock clutch in here wth about 1k miles, properly broken in. I've never had any problems with it slipping or engaging. Also, the rear main seal is brand new. Does anyone have any experience with the clutch slipping from extreme cold weather conditions? Discuss.

sixsixtwo

Yes I'm sure. I was in 4th gear merging onto the highway, there was no ice on the highway whatsoever or I would have been focusing on staying alive rather than hitting boost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sixsixtwo

I'm running a ported 14b, fmic, and 3" exhaust on stock boost. The stock clutch should be more than able to handle that. The clutch has shown no other signs of wear, it engages smoothly each and every shift and has 1k miles on it.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

The only thing cold weather should have to do with it is that your likely making quite a bit more torque for more dense air and less knock/more timing. A "cranked up" 14b can make more torque than the capacity of a stock clutch. Time for ACT or turn the boost down.

CSMShaun

I agree 100%. A 14b can certainly max out a stock clutch and colder weather yields more power for possibly two reasons. Reason one is the air is more dense and reason two is that winter fuel has slightly better knock resistance than summer fuel. The fuel difference may not apply in your area of the US but it probably does.

sixsixtwo

Now I'm going to agree with the both of you. Took the car out again today and the clutch is definitely slipping at higher rpms. I guess there is no mystery phenomenon causing clutches to slip in cold weather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The car definitely pulls hard with this cold weather; even with the clutch slipping it still pulls pretty hard. Not a big deal, the clutch is doing fine for me right now. I'll just stay out of boost for now and throw in a heavier duty clutch in the spring. So much for not modding my daily right? First the t25 goes out so I throw in a 14b, now the clutch can't handle it so I'll throw in a beefier clutch. Then I mind as well throw in an Evo III 16g, and on it goes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Muskrat

Another posibility is the colder weather mean's the friction material wont grab as well. Have you noticed if it improves as the car warms up, or if you're doing a lot of clutch engagements? (in traffic or around town). It's a theory, anyway.

sixsixtwo

That's somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking. I know the possibility is probably pretty slim, but I will keep an eye on my car for the next few days, especially since it's starting to warm up somewhat. Maybe, maybe my clutch will stop slipping once it gets a bit warmer, if not then I'll just baby it and start planning a mild e3 16g build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned