The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

checking for valve leaks

tektic

So I removed my cams, turned the head over and sprayed brake cleaner on the valves.

Every one leaked. Is it possible that enough carbon is in there after 1200 miles to keep every valve from seating?
Or do I have to clean it before testing it?

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Try it with water overnight.

Remove valve and have a look.

Best to know first hand if you suspect burnt seats or carbon issues.

Last edited:

362Ryan

Sounds like bad seats.
Did you get them cut for the rebuild? Did you lap the valves too?

362Ryan

And they cut the seats for that?
I have a friend that had over sized and the shop still cut the seats for std and all of them leaked.

ktmrider

Quoting tektic:
So I removed my cams, turned the head over and sprayed brake cleaner on the valves.

Every one leaked. Is it possible that enough carbon is in there after 1200 miles to keep every valve from seating?
Or do I have to clean it before testing it?

You made a comment in your "Wet Headgasket" thread about a possible valve/piston contact event at startup. Could easily explain the leaks if I understand that other post correctly ( slightly bent valves ).

tektic

Yes, thats why I was checking in the first place. however there was no indication of exhaust valve contact and they leak also. thats why I though I might be doing the test wrong.

tektic

They did cut the seats larger. if they were metric and not standard sized I don't know. I don't even know if that's a thing. I know it would have been nice if he made the throat cut a little wider.

prove_it

Tap the valves lightly with a hammer to get the valve to move a bit and see if it reseats before condemning the seal. Sometimes it takes the force of the spring closing the valve to seat fully.

Was this a single, 3, or 5 angle valve job?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned