The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Overheated

5OF2k

ats48294_Get_along.jpeg

Cant we all just get along??

Quick question OP, when you said you measured it with feeler guages, am i reading correctly you were able to slide the thicker guage between the surface and the straight edge? If thats the case, its definitely out of spec....?

Not sure i was reading that right, or not. All the BS posts in here kind of made me "skim" through a bit.

-Jake

EHmotorsports

tolerance of .0025 to .0080
using .0035 gauge will indeed be within spec

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Jon asked you a legitimate question and you came back asking if he was serious. How do you expect people to respond when you ask for help and they try to deliver? Even when I suggested that you don't need an oilpan gasket in your other thread, since the FSM actually calls out to use RTV and people that have used the gaskets have had leak issues, you blew it off as though you knew more about it than me and the other guys making the same suggestion.

Maybe if you listened to people's advice and took their questions seriously, you wouldn't be in this boat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting G:
Yo, you don't need an oil pan gasket.

It comes in the kit, so might as well use it. If nothing else, it makes the oil pan easier to remove in the future.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
That gasket is also more prone to leak.

But less prone to oozing into the oil pan, flaking off, and clogging an oil passage or the sump. Regardless of what the Mitsu manual says or how carefully you apply it, IMO RTV isn't a good substitute for a real gasket when available. If your mating surfaces are clean, flat, and your gasket is torqued properly, it won't leak. I'd say no matter if a gasket or RTV is used, proper installation is the important part, and in my case that means a copper coated Fel-Pro gasket.

Really? I didn't think I blew you off, or know more than anyone? I simply don't agree with your opinion, or the procedure outlined in the FSM for the reasons I stated above. I didn't realize I offended you.

And be in what boat? I'm not really sure what you are trying to imply there. I don't take responses seriously when they are useless to me, and I often poke fun. If that's too brash, or you feel I'm not appreciative of the feedback I get here, then that's your opinion. FlyingEagle's post was more of what I expected to get in response to my question, and I thanked him for it.

I pulled the head off the car today and found the issue. It looks like somehow, the fire ring on cylinder 1 distorted after the head was torqued down. Because of the distortion, hot gases were building up in the small displaced area, and eventually burned past the fire ring's sealing surface and got to the composite material of the head gasket. I just so happens, that where this all happened was in very close proximity to a small water passage opening in the head.
WP_000814.jpg

WP_000816.jpg

Here's the small passage in the cylinder head where the gases were escaping into the cooling system. You can see the outline of where the fire ring was actually positioned, and how far off it was from where it should have been.
WP_000817.jpg

Before anyone brings it up again, neither the head or block are warped. I triple checked them both after I pulled the head today. Again, so there's no confusion, I checked for warpage using a machinist rule (not to be confused with a carpenters rule) and feeler gauges according the the FSM. So what caused this? Could the gasket have just been faulty? I immediately thought maybe I had over torqued the head stud on that corner, or torqued in the improper sequence. Here's the order I used:
cylinderheadboltinstall001.jpg

I also torqued each ARP head stud in 3 steps, 30-60-90 ft-lbs using ARP molly lube. Then, I go back left to right and double check each row after I've torqued each stud in order. Am I missing something? I really don't think I over torqued any of the studs, and am wondering if that could even cause what you guys see in the pics. I have probably installed 10 Fel-Pro composite gaskets on 4G63 motors over time, and have never seen anything like this. Hell, I just put the exact same gasket on my 1G Eclipse a few months ago, and it's running great. Any ideas of what the cause could have been?

Last edited:

James

I would vote for freak accident.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Really? I didn't think I blew you off, or know more than anyone? I simply don't agree with your opinion, or the procedure outlined in the FSM for the reasons I stated above. I didn't realize I offended you.

Don't flatter yourself. I'm not offended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif And it's not my opinion, it's fact. If you slather on sh*t-tons of RTV, sure, maybe you'll have an issue. If you use it properly like the FSM states, it will be less prone to leak than with the gasket. But you know better than the guys that engineered the engine, right? I mean, there's a gasket available from an aftermarket company... you better use it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

I was just trying to suggest to you the reasons Jon seems to be getting so upset with your replies and posts. You come off as pretty damn arrogant, whether you realize it or not. I'm sure you're frustrated, but that doesn't justify the attitude, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

I would be triple checking the flatness of the cylinder head now and if within spec then get the surfaces clean up real good then slap on a proper MLS gasket - none of this composite OEM spec crap.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Don't flatter yourself. I'm not offended. And it's not my opinion, it's fact. If you slather on sh*t-tons of RTV, sure, maybe you'll have an issue. If you use it properly like the FSM states, it will be less prone to leak than with the gasket. But you know better than the guys that engineered the engine, right? I mean, there's a gasket available from an aftermarket company... you better use it!

I was just trying to suggest to you the reasons Jon seems to be getting so upset with your replies and posts. You come off as pretty damn arrogant, whether you realize it or not. I'm sure you're frustrated, but that doesn't justify the attitude, IMO.

Flatter myself? What are you talking about? It seemed like you were legitimately offended, and I apologized. It wasn't sarcasm. Judging by many of the posts I've read that you have made in various places over time, arrogance seems to be your calling card much of the time, so I guess you would recognize it when you saw it. If you want to bust my balls about it, send me a PM.

RTV being better than a gasket is your opinion. And from personal experience, I can say I prefer a gasket because I think it seals better, lasts longer, and is easier to disassemble when and if the time comes than any sealer on the market. The primary reason the aftermarket exists is to make parts that are improved, or better than those that come stock. I not saying I know better than the guys who designed the car, but I do know that just because the manual says so, doesn't mean there isn't a better way. The guys who design cars aren't all knowing either. Why do you think TSBs exist?

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

My question would be. Does Mitsubishi have an oil pan gasket for the 4g63 due to a tsb?

RTV works great for the pan if you know how to properly adhere to the service manual. 4mm bead across the outer edge of the pan. If you are getting silicone inside the pan then you failed to apply it in the correct area or you applied to much. You should barely see the RTV when final torquing the pan.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Judging by many of the posts I've read that you have made in various places over time, arrogance seems to be your calling card much of the time, so I guess you would recognize it when you saw it.

Please don't confuse my being opinionated with arrogance. Feel free to find and link the thread where I ask for help and carry on with an attitude like yours towards the people trying to help me.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
And from personal experience, I can say...

Well, I guess we've all seen how far your personal experience has gotten you with this car, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

5OF2k

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I also torqued each ARP head stud in 3 steps, 30-60-90 ft-lbs using ARP molly lube. Then, I go back left to right and double check each row after I've torqued each stud in order. Am I missing something? I really don't think I over torqued any of the studs, and am wondering if that could even cause what you guys see in the pics. I have probably installed 10 Fel-Pro composite gaskets on 4G63 motors over time, and have never seen anything like this. Hell, I just put the exact same gasket on my 1G Eclipse a few months ago, and it's running great. Any ideas of what the cause could have been?

By torqued the studs, you dont mean the actual studs themselves, right? Rather, the nuts that hold the head down, right?

I'd chalk the failure up to it being a composite gasket. What were you doing when you noticed the car was running hot, BTW? Under normal driving circumstances, thats extremely rare. However, under full boost I could see it becoming more of an issue and possibly causing that.

I'd dare say spend the $65-75 on an E8 MLS and be done with it, man.

G/L!

-Jake

Gizmovr4

The real question is: Is the head gasket the cause of your overheating? or the result of your overheating?
Different metals expand and contract at different rates Aluminum head vs block …. Its more likely that the car overheated and then the gasket failed!!

If this was my car I would send the head out to be re surfaced. I would clean up the block as it is less likely to distort from heat. Then reassemble using a quality gasket. IMO I would never use a felpro head gasket – but to each his own. I would also change the thermostat – since the car went above 240 deg -it is likely damaged as well.
After reassembly bring the car up to temperature – check fan operation – and circulation of coolant .

Resurfacing the head is cheap insurance – its near imposable to see if you have an area where the gasket compression seal ring has dug into the aluminum head- feeler gauge will not help you there!!

gvr4ever

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Well, other than cracking a cylinder wall (that would be pretty rare, and not likely to happen under those somewhat "normal" circumstances), the head gasket leaking should allow the possibility of coolant to drop back into the cylinder when the engine is off, not always evident but with the plugs out; it's a start. If coolant puddles on top of a piston, then you know what is happening. Without confirming or alarming you, it could still be such a small spot that only pressure is allowed out during power event, and you are not seeing anything going back the other way. I've done gaskets/heads that allowed that scenario.

It is strange that you got a proper compression reading, but considering the path of least resistance is usually the valves opening, it may stand to reason that a bubble pushing into the coolant is not a large enough resistance to make it readily evident at the point. So, no bubbles created/moving around in the rad when the other cylinders are tested with a plug in? Hmmmm. Aren't there passages in the head for coolant ? If the head had a crack, that could be a possibility. Can't magnflux a DSM head, it would be to be fluoresced/dye tested by an engine shop I suspect.

I had the same problem. Good compression reading on a CYL that was leaking. I think it was even 155psi. It must be a micro leak or something that took running coolant pressure. I got confused when I sent the injectors off to get cleaned and I changed the radiator while waiting and draining the system and dried out the HG enough to work for days before having a problem again. Once the HG got wet again, the problem stayed.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
And from personal experience, I can say...

Well, I guess we've all seen how far your personal experience has gotten you with this car, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Lol, coming from a guy essentially running bolt ons. You said you've never even had the motor out of your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. Not too much that can go wrong there, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

At least my car runs and puts down numbers...

All I did was call you out for being a prick to Jon, and now you're butthurt. This is comical.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
At least my car runs and puts down numbers...

Oh yeah, legendary ones. What else would king turbowop's car put down? Agreed, this is comical.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Quoting turbowop:
Don't pay attention to the gauge on the dash, as it's horribly inaccurate. I'd be worried about ECMlink saying that the ECU temp sender was seeing 260+. Did it overheat due to the leak, or did it spring a leak due to overheating?

The gauge does suck and seems to only really jump in 1/4s, but if the gauge reads hot, its likely really hot.

turbowop

I don't think I said anything about breaking records or running legendary numbers, but at least it's not on jack stands. You're really grasping at straws at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSTwithPSI

Ok, I guess what I'm saying is, all you did was bolt on a bunch of parts, then take the car to someone to get it tuned. And then you drive it, track it or whatever (how ever often that may or may not be). I guess since(according to your recent posts) I'm incompetent and responsible for the position I'm currently in with my inoperable car, I should try the same simple process you are using to achieve such GREAT results. I mean, pretty fail proof really right?

Honestly wop, your a dick most of the time IMO, but you have lots of good info as well, and have answered many of the questions I have put forth. I guess when my car is running and reliable, I'll have a better argument. And, if I ever put down numbers comparable to 1051 (which seems to be the bench mark in this arguement) I'd do even better in a pissing contest with you. I gotta go guess my way through another head gasket, and hope for the best.

Last edited:

turbowop

For the record, I tuned the car myself up until I switched to ECMlink, at which point I felt like some help with the tune would make things easier. I tuned all the old setups including the methanol myself. SAFC's, Maftpro, etc. I even had to tweak the link tune myself after being on the dyno at English. I built this car and installed every setup on it myself, so don't play it down like I put on an intake and that's all the knowledge I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jnava

Staff member
WTF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned