The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can someone explain timing advance to me? (MMCd)

kitcho

I am logging with MMCD, and the timing advance values I am getting are confusing. First things first, I set the BISS and Base Timing as per VFAQ before logging.

What should the TIMA value be at idle? My TIMA is showing -5 to 1 at idle in MMCD. Under part load it moves around and is much higher. Under wot at 5-7k rpm, my TIMA according to MMCD is only 5-10 but should be much higher.

My car is almost stock, though I have a k&n drop in filter and 2.5 in exhaust with a keydiver chip.

Last edited:

kitcho

Wow I am stupid. I didn't notice there was a 3/S(3000gt?) or DSM setting. Had it on the 3kgt setting, moving it to dsm made the timing advance values make sense.

Sorry guys

ktmrider

You'll probably have to contact Jeff/Keydiver about your readings.

As I recall he was very, very, careful with TIMA. Rumor is that the 1g vehicles had extremely agressive timing maps/curves which is one reason the 2g MAF/550cc injector and/or SAFC combos were frowned upon.

Ah saw your edit just now.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned