The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

But, HID's are cool!

maroonmetallic

You very well could have. You were driving a Chevy Express/ GMC Savanna van. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

JNR

I don't think the stock oem vr4 headlights are very good; least compared to most every other vehicle I've owned (inlcuding older ones). Maybe they were sort of hot in 91 when that style was only a few years old here in the US, but compared to new stuff, they suck. And once you have real xenon headlights in the 4500k range, you'll wonder if the headlights are doing anything on other 'regular' cars, lol.

The trick to xenon is the proper spectrum (~4500k is ideal) and aiming them properly. The bad thing is you need bi-xenon bulbs, or a dedicated high beam, or else you lose the highs. They are so bright and fill the front and side so well, you don't need brights, except the flash to pass fuction or you want somebody's attention.

The ricer fake blue ones suck and even the higher kelvin bulbs (blu-ish) and damn those who don't bother to aim their lights and esp on big trucks!

Had them oem on the V and they were nice..have aftermarket 4500k on my truck and the 'fogs' and anybody who is foolish (or ignorant) enough to say they are not brighter and can see better (including the spread), put your car next to it and your light will not even be seen, lol. They are about as white and 'daytime' as you can get..This is with stock housings, btw...maybe the vr4 ones suck for xenon (they are 20+ y.o remember and halogen was only introduced here in '87), but my truck ones are great and the best lights I've ever owned, incl. the V's (2nd best I've had)...have not been flashed once because they are aimed properly.

Like I said, I put the stock vr4 bulbs/lights pretty far on the bottom of all the cars I've owned (~18 or so new and old). Would I ever put xenon bulbs/controllers on the vr4, not sure. the best way is to steal projectors from an oem setup, but the right HID's should be a big improvement over these pos lights (stock)...anybody who thinks they're great has obviously not owned many vehicles, lol.

btw - if you're gonna do it, do it right: click

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

I do believe it's the 93 lights everyone is happy with as is. the other ones rather sucked. I have 93's with good higher rated bulbs & they do in fact kick ass.

JNR

you may be right and what I'm talking about are the oem 92's (on mine) and even with 'better' bulbs...I mean, they are not 'terrible', but by today's standards they do kind of suck...I'd be curious to see how a 93 would be, although they still wouldn't compare to 'real' xenon, I could guarantee that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

turbowop

I've never argued that true projector style HID's aren't better. That's pretty obvious. But I still feel that the fluted or crystal '93 lights are excellent with halogen bulbs compared to other cars with halogens, especially our hi-beams.

JNR

Are you running oem bulbs, or something else? I'm just wondering, because if I were to keep the car long enough, 93 headlights and some good bulbs may be worthwhile. I just remember being disappointed in the stockers, so hopefully these 93's will wake them up, so to speak. If they are decent then no reason to change them and never reall considered it for the galant...I am just amazed at the difference these xenons have been on my past two vehicles and am pretty s0old on them (provided they are done right)...I'd rather not have to go to a xenon on the galant though, as it wouldn't seem right, IMO, for some reason.

turbowop

I just use normal halogen bulbs.

Honestly, I think the 93's just look better aesthetically than the fluted lights of the '91/'92 cars. I've had both on 503 and sold the 93's I had on it since I figured they'd get hit by a rock due me driving that car over mountain passes so much. I really didn't notice much of a difference, and figured it'd be easier/cheaper to replace the fluted style headlights in the event of one being ruined by a rock.

I'd like to retrofit some true projector HID's into 1051 just for cool factor, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price. Maybe I'll get the itch to do it this summer.

DR1665

Quoting turbowop:

Opinions are a funny thing. It's kind of hard to ignore them when an overwhelming majority agree on one. Much like the opinion that Valencia's exhaust looks like garbage, or that body kits on our cars are hideous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Flat out, the factory halogens are awesome. That is my opinion after driving many other cars over the years with headlights that just don't compare.

I wanted to run this early 90's Accord off the road today when he passed me on the freeway. Those bright pieces of sh*t were in my rearview annoying me for miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/madfawk.gif

Ad Populum. Opinion is "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." Doesn't matter how many people think something relative the whole. Popularity != Fact.

Gunga-galunga, 'Wop, don't let backfire effect keep you from total consciousness.

As for your desire to engage in vehicular assault over improperly aimed headlights, I have to wonder which activity poses a greater risk to other motorists - some retard in a beat-ass Honda with poorly-aimed, probably illegal HIDs buzzing cluelessly down the highway, or some irate, distracted guy trying to use a cell phone to take a picture of something in his rearview mirror while piloting four tons of Detroit mediocrity down the highway at 100+ feet-per-second?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

turbowop

I made that whole post while driving down the freeway. Notice I'm still in my lane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Scientist

turbowop where are you pricing your kit from? because the place i got mine are from $200 starting price for Ballast, Bulb, Projector and Wiring harness

Lukefraizer

I have to say this post with all the arguing made me dream about a place selling them for like 40 dollars and I was like well for that price why would anyone not since they are cheaper than stock bulbs!

That is the only 2 cents you will get from me!

chach161

I got a HID conversion set given to me by my neighbor. I couldn't refuse free but still probably won't put them on my galant. I am thinking maybe my off-road truck but I think my 150 Watt sealed beam KC lights will out shine them. The only good thing about HID's I see is they pull less amps. So they might make some good cornering lights because I don't want to spend the money on the new LED light bars.
I got a set of 93 Headlights for my galant about a year ago and haven't put them on yet. 93 Headlights are cool.

turbowop

Quoting Scientist:
turbowop where are you pricing your kit from? because the place i got mine are from $200 starting price for Ballast, Bulb, Projector and Wiring harness

I think the kit from theretrofitsource is just under $300. Not that expensive, but even then, I haven't yet decided if I can justify it. I need other sh*t for 1051 before I go changing perfectly good headlights. It would be cool though.

mitsuturbo

I've driven a few cars with aftermarket HIDs, and i have to say i'd take the stock gvr4 halogens over any aftermarket HIDs i've ever seen or used. My GF's altima has aftermarket HIDs, and mind you, they are "supposed to be the good ones". Sure, they're a little better than some i've driven behind, but they still suck, IMO. The link the OP put up here confirmed any suspicion i had that aftermarket HIDs aren't any better, and are generally bought by people who either A) dont know any better and can't see with their own eyes that they suck, or B) are ricers who dont know any better and can't see with their own eyes that they suck.

I told my GF her headlights suck. She likes them though, so I didnt really want to make a point to argue it. They're there, and they'll stay. I certainly won't ever put them into any vehicle i'll ever own.

Whoodoo

I don't know what JNR is talking about... the stock headlights are down right top-notch. They are better than my brand new Veloster's.

JNR

Maybe mine are messed up or something...I just don't recall them being anything to write home about, so to speak. But, the car ought to be going again soon, so perhaps I'll change my opinion again with new bulbs or something, although really like the 93 lights (look), so who knows...

Scientist

I just finished one on a 2009 Lancer ES using a theretrofitsource plug and play H1 kit. the difference between the factory halogen and the HID.
402013_620140367406_83502261_31845656_1268116678_n.jpg

405646_620140167806_83502261_31845655_69962104_n.jpg

406443_620137767616_83502261_31845652_305240708_n.jpg

donkeylips

This horrible guy on a local forum said: "and I always drive with my hi-beams on. I won't dim my lights for anybody," when talking about his HID setup. Happened to be a guy who ripped some people off on this forum...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned