The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken Transfer Case and/or Center Diff (?)

Barnes

Quoting PETC:
I was talking with some guy at a place called "Mitsubishi Graveyard" way the hell over in New Yowk, and he was saying the same thing pretty much. Says he has a bunch of re-manned transfer cases and used but still-good output shafts. All I have to do is get him the parts numbers.

I might try to source them more-locally though... But $170 for the TC, + probably $100 for the output shaft and whatever for shipping sounds less expensive than a new transmission.

Yes, it's much less than a new transmission, and WAY easier than swapping in a whole tranny. Also, be aware that you might be able to get some good transfer cases and output shafts even cheaper than from Mitsu Graveyard. However, they are a good place if you choose that. I recommend sending thedsmguy a PM and asking if he has what you need. He lives down in Vancouver, WA and is a great guy with access to a lot of parts. Also search the for sale section and see what you can find.

Quoting galant1517:
Quoting H05TYL:
Just pull the transfer case out and have a look at it. There's only 5 bolts holding it in (plus dropping the downpipe out of the way). Another 5 bolts will have the plate off the side and you can see if there are any teeth missing or not.

This is totally the place to start. If has to come out anyway if the trans has to come out. Also check the output shaft splines on the trans as those can strip out with repetitive abuse. Same applies to the inside of the t-case splines.

^^^, and if they are stripped enough to allow the shaft to spin inside the t-case, it would provide the same end result as a broken center diff. You need to get under the car and see if that output shaft rotates with little or no force though(do this with someone on the brakes so the front wheels won't turn). If the car is showing it's age those spines will be worn, and you could still have the broken diff. This is situation parallels one that I experienced.

NYC86ZC

Quoting PETC:
I was talking with some guy at a place called "Mitsubishi Graveyard" way the hell over in New Yowk, and he was saying the same thing pretty much. Says he has a bunch of re-manned transfer cases and used but still-good output shafts. All I have to do is get him the parts numbers.

I might try to source them more-locally though... But $170 for the TC, + probably $100 for the output shaft and whatever for shipping sounds less expensive than a new transmission.

Many of the guys around here use Mitsubishi Graveyard to rebuild their trannies. The guy you were talking to was Gary. He's rebuilt hundreds of them around here. I picked up many parts for #541 from him because the PO had many parts pulled from it to put on his other gvr4 years ago at his shop. Chris, spoolingvr4, on here has worked for him as well. He's always looking for trannies whether they're used and abused, in pieces, cores, etc.

Well, picked up a used transmission and transfer case from thedsmguy. Just cleaned it up and it's about ready to go in. Anyways, everything looks good and the splines on the output shaft and the transfer case both look MUCH better (read: they exist) than my old ones do.

However, on the input shaft of the transmission there is an aluminum sleave or something that the throwout bearing travels on. It's pretty worn in the "thrown out" position but tolerance seems okay in the position it usually sits in. I'm planning on just putting the transmission into the car, since my old tranny had a little bit of slop on that piece as well, but I was curious as to if this is something I should worry about and if so, how I would go about changing the sleave.

-Gary

No camera right now unfortunately... But I'll look. Imagine a cylinder which is more worn at the top then the bottom. Rather tapered.

Also, once I put the fork on the play decreased considerably so I'm not too worried about it. I think worst case scenario is that this throw out bearing will fail prematurely.

That is the big concern there, for sure. When Jack's Transmissions built mine, they had to sleeve the area you're describing, but its my understanding that it isn't a DIY kinda job. The material has to be cut down to install the sleeve. However, if you can, snag a rand new clutch fork and fulcrum ball fromn the dealer, they should help minimize the risk of the throwout bearing getting hung up, and lubricate the journal where it rides with a smear of anti-sieze.

I got the car finished last night. It runs great. It's good to have the Galant back, I was pretty sure it was going to be sitting for a while.

I'd like to extend a thank yous to everyone here who has given me nothing but GOOD information, from what I've seen in this thread alone I can tell this community is a good one.

I would also like to especially thank Paul (thedsmguy) and his dad Bill who were outstanding. They even drove the parts up to south of Olympia so I didn't have to drive all the way down to Vancouver, really above and beyond kinda stuff. And, whoever PMed Paul for me, thank you, I was just about to follow the advice someone gave me to contact him when I noticed there was already a message in my inbox from him telling me he had the parts I needed. Awesome.

Of course, my friend and roommate Sam, who lent me more than a hand in this project. Air tools and experience FTW.

Don, the driver from Heston Hauling who towed the Galant down to my parents nice, warm, dry garage in La Conner, you were hilarious, and you hauled ass, both awesome.

Milwaukee, for creating the Sawzall. Thank. you. so. much.

From the first bolt being broken loose in Bellingham to the last one snugged up against the airbox this project probably took a cumulative 12-15 hours of work. No lifts, just jack stands, and for most of it, only hand tools. This car is CONSTANTLY surprising me with how WELL it appears to have been engineered and THOUGHT about during its construction. My GS-X has 280,000 miles on it, and I hope I can put a whole hell of a lot more on it before I get rid of it. Love this car, thanks again.

-Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Awesome! Glad you got things together. I'm not the least bit surprised at Paul being a stand up guy. I've only met him once, and I was nothing but impressed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif

DR1665

Thread delivers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Barnes

Quoting DR1665:
Thread delivers.

So does thedsmguy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Ohhh man, I kill me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned