The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brakes Squealing

Nartanian

This has simply a huge annoyance and is beyond me. I have pulled the brakes off at least 3 times. I can't really explain the sound so I just posted up the vid. The only facts I know is that as soon as I even lightly tap the brakes the sound vanishes and disappears. Also this squealing noise doesn't start right away. It usually starts after about 5 minutes of highway driving or 10 minutes of street driving with moderate braking. This leads me to think that it's a heat related issue. I also know for a fact that is from the driver side rears. Either case, if you have the slightest idea of what the issues may be please lemme know. Also these are new rotors and pads from Napa.

sounds more like a "dronong" sound than a squealing to me, but maybe the pitch it just off due to the video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

In any case i would check out the wheel bearing. I cant really explain why the braking would make the sound stop if that was the problem, but its the first thing that popped into my head when i heard the sound.

AnotherNewb

Try pulling the pads off and applying a light coat of brake anti squeek to the backs of the pads and all contact points. That usually solves the new pad squeek.

Nartanian

Yea it's not really a squeak but I didn't know what to call it.

Its definitely a horendous sound whatever it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Do you experience any shaking in the steering wheel while driving?

Nartanian

No, it drives and handles perfectly. The brake pedal doesn't kick back at me or anything. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate too. I'm gonna put the old rotor back on and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then I can almost be sure it has to be the wheel bearings.

GVR4_1057

I had a similar sound and it was the exhaust pipe rubbing on the driveshaft going to the rear.

seizer

This same sound (appears to be the same from the vid) happened to me when i installed my aftermarket exhaust and drove over massive puddles from snow melt and i was thinking all kinds of crazy stuff it could be (mainly brakes) but ended up i had to adjust the hangers because the cold snow melt was splashing my exhaust pipe causing it to i guess flex to the shaft and started to rub. Just double check that to be on the safe side if havent already. Good Luck

holeshotmoe

Quoting GVR4_1057:
I had a similar sound and it was the exhaust pipe rubbing on the driveshaft going to the rear.

At first I was thinking it could be the brake backing plate contacting the disk. But after listening to the video I think these guys are right about it being the exhaust (or something else) against the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Nartanian

I hope it's that simple. It's been raining cats and dogs for the last couple days, so once it clears up I will take a peek. Thanks thus far for all the suggestions.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned