The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brakes are trashed... what to do

GolfBall

so pretty sure my calipers are toast.

they basically are always dragging, when i apply brake it stops great but doesn't "realease" when i let off the brake.

dont know if it may be a weak brake master cylinder but figured its the calipers. anyone had any luck with just rebuilding the factory calipers instead of trying to find replacements for em'.

BluFalcon

The calipers are available from most of the major parts houses. I found a set pretty easily from Autozone when I replaced mine. Personally, I found it a lot easier to just buy the rebuilt units and swap them out, rather than try to rebuild them myself.

raptorWagon

I would get a rebuilt over doing it yourself, have you checked the condition of the calipers overall and which ones fronts or rears? I know mine were pretty rusty when the last time I did the brakes before my right front caliper had one piston sieze up on me. It also had the tear in the boot and any water that got in there really didn't help that situation out anymore. I believe NateCrisman has a set of fronts for sale.
IMG_0468.jpg

Agree with others about getting rebuilt calipers than rebuilding them yourself. If you can find a set of good used ones go for it.

Muskrat

I'd suggest rock auto, at least for the rear's. They're cheaper than the local autozone, and come with brackets. You just have to ship your core's back to them.

boostedinaz

I will also agree buying rebuilt ones are a bit more expensive, but much easier. When my rear caliper froze up I couldn't even get the piston out of the bore to rebuild it if I wanted to.

GolfBall

cool....

so just source a couple of local auto parts stores and compare prices....

i feel sketchy about just buying another set of used ones from somone, if im gonna spend it i might as well at lest get a rebuilt set?

let the search begin... ( my turbo blew up couple days ago so i have time anyways while i sort that crap out)

MitchooO

If you dont see any signs of wear on the caliper make sure its not a bad brake hose.. ive seen hoses make calipers drag pretty bad.. but its a good idea to put new hoses on either way. so worth a shot if your not finding any clear evidence of the caliper being the problem.

I disagree with everyone lol. Rebuild kit, hone, and 100psi of air will pop the pistons out.

Quoting boostedinaz:
When my rear caliper froze up I couldn't even get the piston out of the bore to rebuild it if I wanted to.

The pistons in the rear calipers don't just pop out the way the front ones do, they are held in differently, which is why you need that little square tool and a ratchet to turn the pistons back in when installing new pads.

Rebuilding calipers is fairly simple, just be careful you don't mess up the piston seals at all when putting the pistons back in or the brake fluid will leak out and you'll have to start over with another rebuild kit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned