The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake ??

doelcow

Alright so I'm toying around with the idea of bigger brakes... How different are 2g eclipse brakes (I tried searching... don't burn me)? If they mount the same way I was thinking about a 2g wilwood kit with a different hat? Has anyone ever tried to compare 2002-2005 Mitsubishi Lancer LS brakes to ours? (just talking about fronts right now)

raptorWagon

2g turbo dsms have the same two piston brakes we have up front. Using Lancer LS fronts would be a downgrade from the two piston brakes you already have on the car. I believe Willwood still makes a kit for the VR4s, you just have to contact them about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

doelcow

The reason I was asking about the lancer is that their kits are obscenely cheap:

click

This definitely seems like an upgrade. Or, for that matter:

click

if I could convince a vender to sell me this kit but with these:

click

hats...

p.s. why was this shifted from the tech forum?

Last edited:

doelcow

Has anyone tried adapting one of these to the rear to free us up for whatever brake kit we want?

click

SouthCaliVR4

I put one on a go-kart this year, can't say I'd want it on my car for any particular reason. unless yo put it on the driveshaft I don't think it would have the hold your looking for in a real world parking brake. It might work it you installed in on the pinion flange though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

alansupra94

There is alot more things you have to look into before you try upgrading your brakes. Just slapping on bigger brakes will not yield you better results.

doelcow

I'm just armchair planning right now. I know I need to look closely at weight distribution, suspension, brake bias, rotor size, piston area etc...

p.s. I'm not the first person to think about adapting the mechanical spot caliper as an e-brake:

click

Really this was meant to spark a new brake conversation based around things other than the 3kgt kit or swapping entire rear ends out.

I just happen to be partial to wilwood based on prior experience and the flexibility of the parts they offer.

Last edited:

doelcow

Made my day when I saw it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gifYeah, that sh*t was great. You misspelled Hitler in your sig.

doelcow

I thought the victors got to re-write history/spell hitler's name wrong....

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

What are you looking to do with the car that you need a bigger brake setup? Road racing? Autox? Show? Daily driver? Weekend warrior?

doelcow

To tell the truth, even the way I drive the stock brakes are probably sufficient. I just like taking on challenges. At some point 575 may be used for AutoX. Also, the back of the car is a rusty ticking time bomb and when I get a chance to take it all apart I'd like to do everything at once.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned