The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake pads for street

ken inn

Quote:
Quote:
the absolute best pad for street is akebono ceramics. little to no dust, and good stopping. the exact opposite is pbr ceramics, which will dust with the car just sitting in the garage. we have the akebono's on the mazda's, and i am amazed at how little dust there is. lots of bmw shops have gone to the akebonos for the low/no dust. depends on your priorities, but if it is dust, go akebono.

Hey Ken are these the Akebono's your talkin about?

Front
AKEBONO Part # ACT530 {OE Ceramic}
Front - w/ AWD and Turbo - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad

Rear
AKEBONO Part # ACT329 {OE Ceramic}
Rear - w/ AWD and Turbo - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad

Found them on RockAuto

ya, mon. once again, NOT a track pad. if you like clean wheels, there is none better. good stopping, very rotor friendly, no noise. probably even taste good.

belize1334

So are Metal Master pads old hat then? RRE still sells them (though they appear to be back ordered). How are they for street w/ spirited canyon roads and occasional autocross?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
Could I also get prices for all four corners?

Shipping out of state kills any good price I could get you.

Your local premium parts house should carry them.

Wholesale on the five lug front Brembo's is ~$40ish, retail will be more. (These aren't cross drilled slotted or any other nonsense, they're just a premium o.e. replacement.)

I'm buying for less, (jobberish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and I could certainly get a better price for the Colorado guys if they want to do a group buy.

I can also have them cryo treated locally, for quick turn around.

Shipping rotors is really expensive, so having a local cryo option is cool!!!!!!!!

I'm running the cryo treated units on my tsi, and I haven't hurt them. (yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif)

464/2K

ya if you could get rotors that fit our car i will be in for a set for the front.

speedyvr4

Quote:
anybody have experience with Hawk pads?

I have hawk HPS on both my dsm and the galant. Their not bad on dust, but they will usually squeak when cold. I am very anal on installing brakes, so I know it's not that I didn't use goop, or lack of lube.They have been through several bay are "touge" drives, and the good ol' streets of San Fransisco and I have not been able to fade them. Great stopping power.I can live with the little noise they produce knowing I have better stopping distances. At work we use Wagner's thermo quiet. They're quiet and have good initial braking, but they do get quite dusty in the long run. I personally think akebonos are garbage. low dust/low noise is about all their good for. This is my personal opinion. I ran them before in my 2gnt and my old e-150 van and they sucked. They lasted nothing on the van BTW. I also like the VGX pads for a DD. summit sells them. Their inexpensive, low dust, come with all new hardware, yada,yada. They will fade if abused, but a good overall pad.

PJGross

^^ 3 sets of HPS on my 2 tonner, no squeaks, good auto-x but some fade on road courses with just one hot lap.

Have a box of HPS sitting in the kitchen for the Audi waiting to go on, and a set on order for the galant's rebirth (fronts only).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned