The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake lights not working

James

Bulbs appear to be good and fuse appears to be good. What else can I check?

Number680

Are they just not lighting up when you press the brakes? Or are they not even lighting up when you turn your headlights on?

James

Taillights work. The brake lights don't work

So only when braking

Last edited:

James

On the male side of the plug I see 11.6 on one wore 10.8 on another wire and .80 on the third wire.

Thwarted by rain clouds. Does the female end just unscrew out?

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Gotta be that brake light switch.

theevozero

Your brake light switch should be a 4 pin connector. 2 wires are for your brake lights, the other 2 are for your cruise control. Don't worry about the cruise control circuit, its not gonna effect your brake lights. The hot side of the circuit should have full battery voltage and the other nothing(when brakes not applied). Pin's 2 and 3 are the ones you want, which are green/white and green. The brake lamp switch should not be consuming voltage. If you're getting that kind of voltage drop across your switch, replace it.

James

It's not easy sticking the probes into the plug and trying to push the brake while looking at the device all at the same time lol

theevozero

Take switch off and plug it back in. If you aren't sure how to measure voltage drop. Stick the probs from your dvom into pin 2 and 3 and apply the circuit. Anything over .5v is excessive. Your measuring the difference in voltage between the 2 terminals. The reading you get is the amount voltage the switch is consuming. A switch is not suppose to consume any voltage, its just a switch, not a device. I've had brake light issues with my Galant also. Mine turned out to be the main power wire going to the tail lights, having too much resistance and kept popping the fuses. Resistance jacks up your amperage.

theevozero

If you don't understand what i'm saying, feel free to ask questions. I understand that electrical can be confusing to people who don't do it everyday.

James

I do hate electrical but I did understand. But the problem is I had the ground touching ground pin on the plug. And I I didn't know what other pin to touch for the brakes so I tried them all.

2 of them were just below 12 volts and the third was (I think) .80

theevozero

So, you're all good now?

James

No. After checking that they still don't work.

theevozero

Will the lights come on if you jump pin 2 and 3?

James

I can try that tomorrow after work

James

Haven't had any shots to look at the situation any more. Decided to just order a brake switch today

James

New brake switch installed. Nothing changed. Getting new bulbs here shortly just to say I tried.

James

Found some bad wiring. Lord I hate wiring.

Corrected the wiring and brakes are fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned