The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blew my motor becase of oil filter failure

uncleben4rice

Quoting theevozero:
This thread is full of stupid.

Your Stupid. Oh you just don't have any power in your car so this dont apply to you.

Gizmovr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif this was fun to read !

Last edited:

Olson

Whats up dude... miss you and conrad. i see you havent changed one bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif keep it real dude

mitsuturbo

This whole thread is so full of fail i don't even know where to begin. Wow..

Just...

WOW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

uncleben4rice

Olson; Whats up Dude? I got the car back up and running. Eagle rod motor with 8 to 1 JE pistons. Magnus sheet metal intake this time. Next mod will be the 2100cc E85 spitters. Im running 1650cc now.. And I have a brace on the oil Filter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Im so noob at this. I wonder what they will say next?

Listen up Kids, the Uncle just wanted to bring light to the subject. Watch your oil filters they can\will come off if your not careful.

Bigger crank case vent system is also in the works. I run the RRE setup currently.

Twop; is it true that the oil actually bypasses the filter at certain pressure?

Kids you can learn a lot from a dummy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Uncle out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

turbowop

Yes, the oil will bypass the filter if the pressure gets too high. I don't remember the figure off the top of my head though.

swe_gvr4_1991

Oil filter and pressure info for future reference:
The relief valve will crack open at 78 PSI (5.5 bar) according to the manual.
If oil pressure is 10-20 PSI at idle it can reach 80+ PSI by 7000-8000 RPM.
Old school rule of thumb is 10 PSI increase for every 1000 RPM. If it goes sky high at mid RPM there is a problem.
And if the oil filter burst coz of boost pressure there are serious problems with exhaust gases passing into the block. Rebuild is required.

Nice to hear that your new build came together nicely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brianawd

A few things you can do.
1. go to a early style oil filter housing that does not have the oil cooler. Use a external.
2. pull the oil filter housing apart and put new seal and then torque to spec.
3. build the bracket that was posted.

I has a few filters come off due to the stub coming lose. I pulled the oil filter housing off. put a new stub and oring in. torqued to spec. Then built the brace. Never had a issue after that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned