The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blew my motor becase of oil filter failure

prove_it

I dumped out 4 qts of oil on the interstate due to this. Lol. I use red locktite on the center "stud" all the time now. Well before the 90 style housing.

To the original poster, I want to see pics. I've never heard of blowing an engine due to a faulty wix filter. Even if it dumped all the oil out and you lost pressure, I doubt it blew the engine, unless you kept running it anyway and in that case it's your fault for not noticing the dummy light or oil pressure gauge.

If the filter cartridge failed due to a rupture, then you may want to document the crap out of it and call wix. You might get some compensation.

Last edited:

turbowop

I've never had any filter back off of either GVR4 I've owned. I've used Wix/NapaGold filters on 1051 ever since I can remember. Back to like '01 or so. I used whatever was cheap on 503. Wix/Fram/whatever. I didn't care. Both cars had properly torqued and red loctited center studs though. I even mark the filters and housing with a sharpie to see if they move between oil change intervals. I've never had one move from the spot I tightened it to.

G

Staff member
Yeah filters don't just back off. Some other type of hackery is usually to blame.

BpuVR4

reminds me of the time when my oil pressure switch fell out of #555, and i noticed a lot of black on the road behind me...that almost gave me a heart attack. thankfully didn't do any collateral damage though...as far as I know.

Last edited:

prove_it

The reason the filter backs off is over tightening the oil filter. For example you overtighten the filter and when you take it loose it loosens the center stud, but not completely. Filter still comes off and a new one goes on. Problem is that now the center stud is no longer properly torqued after a couple of these filter changes the housing gets loose enough that with vibration the filter will start to spin loose. Oil pressure helps with that too. It doesn't take much to lose oil fast. That's why red locktite and a torqued center stud are important. Before I had my 90 style OFH, I would always check the stud for proper torque. Had an issue, once. Filter came out with the stud still attached.

theevozero

I've seen filters fail. But always due to operator error. I saw a oil filter literally blow up, but guess what caused that? High oil pressure. That was on a swapped might max that wasn't completely sorted out yet. I've had 1 oil filter back off due to having the filter nut back off. Fixed that with a 90 ofh, never seen a filter back off a 90 that wasn't the owners fault.

uncleben4rice

Guys, Thanks for all the stories, concern and options for a fix...The rubber piece/o-ring was hanging out the side of the filter. I had been told before, that I should put some sort of brace on it because this could happen at full boost. I was racing a sport bike and was to busy driving the the car. It was a dark night so I did not notice the oil leaking out. If I would have gotten some tire spin from the oil, I would have backed out of the throttle to save the motor. By the way I won the race but lost the war. I will invest in a warning light/sound oil pressure gauge. Im gonna also move my oil pressure gauge closer to my field of view. Currently its under my radio on the console, not much good down there. Im thinking about coming back with a 2.3 strokerrrrr. We are pulling the motor this weekend. 654 should be back on the road in a few weeks.
30psi e85
1600cc injectors
044. pump
stage three tre trans
twin disk
dsmlink v3 speed density
yada yada yada for the guys who don't know about my car.
I heard some guys talking about owner error. WTF you think I got all this stuff on my car and don't about it SMH??

Uncle out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

G

Staff member
Back to my hackery statement. You probably installed the filter on a dirty surface. Who knows what you did wrong.

uncleben4rice

So its you this time huh G? Y'all always post stuff but cant take it when you get called on it, can you? My car has been running for years on the street, drag racing at the track, proven, daily street driven car. And you call that hackery? C'mon man? I don't let folks talk smack to me on my threads and get off with it. Only a few people on this board can talk sh*t with me and get away with it because they have put the time/money into these cars to talk sh*t with me and you aint one of them, so butt out young-in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you don't have constructive words then keep them to yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
What you got G? post your parts list. Lets see if your on my level. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
No lying now. Because the Uncles car is known. I can afford not to lie.
GT35R
HKS 272s
Crower everything
5 lug
4bolt
WHAT!!!
bong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EHmotorsports

Talking in the third person will only get you douchebagery points. Lets keep it to first or second person talk;)

uncleben4rice

I just like to "KEEP IT REAL" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
They start it and the Uncle finishes it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
you better ask somebody fool...

uncleben4rice

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Talking in the third person will only get you douchebagery points. Lets keep it to first or second person talk;)

You know whats funny? They talk smack and some don't even have a VR4. You know who you are..Or they have one that has never been on the street or track. Bench Racing. GTFOH...

EHmotorsports

Quoting uncleben4rice:

You can't just assume someone knows everything about you on forums. You know yourself better then anyone else. Don't be offended when we talk to you like your an idiot when you try to say a proven working part is complete sh*t. We then tend to assume the operator/you are doing it wrong.

Street Surgeon

Quoting G:
Back to my hackery statement. You probably installed the filter on a dirty surface. Who knows what you did wrong.

A long time ago there was a thread about this on one of the other DSM forums I frequent, most of these aftermarket filters have a "squared off" o-ring instead of a genuine o-ring as seen on the OEM and some other premium oil filters. It was the general consensus that over tightening the filter, excessive oil pressure, using solid or urethane mounts which increase vibration, or/and using filters with this "square" o-ring could be the cause of the filters backing off. This happened on both cars equipped with the cooler sandwich plate as well as a '90 OFH. Though I wouldn't say this is a COMMON phenomenon it DOES happen from time to time and the best way to protect yourself from having this happen is to spend four bucks on bar-stock and slip a 20 to ANY hack with a mig welder to make that bracket. That, or run filters with safety wire, either a K&N w/the nut, or put a worm gear clamp as seen here.

I love the people that are like "...this never happened to me or my friends, you must not know how to put an oil filter on!" lol. Anyway, the bracket will keep the filter from spinning off, but it won't prevent an o-ring or filter from bursting and to that end I'd recommend using either an OEM filter or a K&N. That's just me though, and for reference K&N's DO have the squared edge o-ring. I however had one get smashed in a head on collision and it neither burst, nor lost it's seal.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting uncleben4rice:
The rubber piece/o-ring was hanging out the side of the filter.

Your oil pressure must be too high at WOT or high RPMs. Back in winter '03 after I did a lot of work to my car, I put it all together in spring. I blew out two oil filters and spewed all the oil out of the motor right at startup. Turns out, the oil pressure relief spring/piston was stuck in the bore, so cold 15w50 oil at high warmup idle didn't mix with a stuck relief valve and blew out the filter seal...twice. Made a mess of the nice clean engine bay and powdercoated parts I had just installed too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, I pulled the filter housing off and removed the piston/spring and cleaned it up. Reinstalled and haven't had an issue since.

Have you ported the relief valve? I assume you have removed the balance shafts, and possibly done other things that bump the oil pressure up.

Brunoboy

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Quoting uncleben4rice:

You can't just assume someone knows everything about you on forums. You know yourself better then anyone else. Don't be offended when we talk to you like your an idiot when you try to say a proven working part is complete sh*t. We then tend to assume the operator/you are doing it wrong.

You shouldn't assume anything about anyone on this board. I know the OP. him and Conrad go way back and know a lot about what works and what doesn't. The Bay Area Group is actually pretty large and is pretty close knit. I can tell from your join date that you don't know much about Junius and a lot of the guys that's been around for awhile.

EHmotorsports

I'm guessing you didn't read anything you just quoted of mine. Because I just said you shouldn't assume people know you.
what, 3 people know this guy on this forum now? So yes I have no idea who he is since I haven't seen him trying to help others out from the time I joined. I have been on this site a year before my current joint date. But had to re register due to having an email deleted.

Also I wasn't trying to start anything. I was just trying to give light to the situation and what could have been the reason nobody knows who he is.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Lol, nothing to be proud of there. The only part you have me beat on is the turbo and that's only because I still have my "break in" turbo still installed on my "built" engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'm way past your level fella. Go learn how to install an oil filter and control your oil pressure before you blow another motor.

Quoting uncleben4rice:
So its you this time huh G? Y'all always post stuff but cant take it when you get called on it, can you? My car has been running for years on the street, drag racing at the track, proven, daily street driven car. And you call that hackery? C'mon man? I don't let folks talk smack to me on my threads and get off with it. Only a few people on this board can talk sh*t with me and get away with it because they have put the time/money into these cars to talk sh*t with me and you aint one of them, so butt out young-in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you don't have constructive words then keep them to yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
What you got G? post your parts list. Lets see if your on my level. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
No lying now. Because the Uncles car is known. I can afford not to lie.
GT35R
HKS 272s
Crower everything
5 lug
4bolt
WHAT!!!
bong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

Calm down and quit measuring dick size. Geesh.

Brunoboy

Lol ^ it's always a dick measuring game here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned