The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blew my motor becase of oil filter failure

prove_it

True. Sorry it slipped my mind. lol

Wizardawd

Some of us are more gifted than others.....peewee.

Wiz

raptorWagon

When uncleben4rice speaks, "this thread is going to be hilarious" is the only thing that comes to mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

raptorWagon

Quoting uncleben4rice:

You see, thats what Im talking bout, you fail to understand whats going on here. I bought a built motor, and it was sucking the turbo dry on the top end. I know to some of you this may sound strange, but when you have a real motor built for a real mans turbo like the 35r, 13s are all I could muster. The motor was needing more boost. more than the small 16g could give. However I am sure that my car was faster than most of you that posted a smart remark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Oh I ran 12.92 once but the tranny broke that day. Any way keep the insults coming you gays are good at it.

My car is just waiting for the weather to clear up, I will run the number and prove it. I am sure of this. We are looking for low 12s to start. 11s are the target with this car. This summer, On pump, no NOS, full intee. Uncle Out.

Wizardawd

13s on a 16g...ROFL. Been a few 14b's that have run 12s in a GVR4. Easily as a matter of fact with bone stock motors.

Wiz

thecman02

I had a oil filter back off on 580 a few years ago. I was at the drag strip. During my pull I saw a cloud of smoke behind me and my oil pressure gauge fall to zero. I turned the car off in time though. Put 30k on the engine since the filter backed off. I blamed my filter coming off due to the fact I didn't tighten her enough and put some mild thread locker on. Been using wix/napa gold or pure ones on all my vehicles and no problems though. With the urethane mounts sh*t will back off if you don't thread lock everything lol.

turbowop

Urethane mounts have nothing to do with filters backing off or bolts on the engine coming loose. The vibrations you feel from using poly or solid mounts are all vibrations that were already present, but were unnoticeable because of the soft rubber stock engine mounts. Anything connected to the engine is seeing the same amount of vibration, regardless of mounts used.

thecman02

Yeah, good verification. I was thinking more of the other engine bay components that don't like to stay where I put them.

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting uncleben4rice:

You see, thats what Im talking bout, you fail to understand whats going on here. I bought a built motor, and it was sucking the turbo dry on the top end. I know to some of you this may sound strange, but when you have a real motor built for a real mans turbo like the 35r, 13s are all I could muster. The motor was needing more boost. more than the small 16g could give. However I am sure that my car was faster than most of you that posted a smart remark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Oh I ran 12.92 once but the tranny broke that day. Any way keep the insults coming you gays are good at it.

My car is just waiting for the weather to clear up, I will run the number and prove it. I am sure of this. We are looking for low 12s to start. 11s are the target with this car. This summer, On pump, no NOS, full intee. Uncle Out.

uncleben4rice

Oh I just love this site. "Turbowop" I still got it. I can still get the dander up in here. On a serious note I will post pics of engine damage and rebuild on new thread.
G is funny.
Hey Mr G. lemme see your car. Is it fast? Lol your so easy. You took to the bait like a fish to a worm...

prove_it

What part actually failed? I take it the bearings are shot, but you never mentioned what failed or how you know it's blown.

uncleben4rice

Loud knocking by the time I turned it off. Something let go.. Could be bearings or rod. I was racing and no trailer was present, I had to drive it 1/4 mile to a safe place before I shut it down. I will post pictures after Ted and I pull it out this weekend. Im taking it to the shop this Friday and pulling motor this Saturday. I set aside $2500 for the rebuild. hopefully I wont need more than that. I hope its just rods and crank. It happens fast, and my motor was built. You lose oil pressure and its gone. Ive done the same thing wit my Chevys "lost oil pressure" for what ever reason and they don't like it and tick really loud, but they don't blow up during a single pass. Lesson learned the expensive way. I will be placing some sort of oil filter prevention thingamajig on my Gilly..

uncleben4rice

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting uncleben4rice:
The rubber piece/o-ring was hanging out the side of the filter.

Your oil pressure must be too high at WOT or high RPMs. Back in winter '03 after I did a lot of work to my car, I put it all together in spring. I blew out two oil filters and spewed all the oil out of the motor right at startup. Turns out, the oil pressure relief spring/piston was stuck in the bore, so cold 15w50 oil at high warmup idle didn't mix with a stuck relief valve and blew out the filter seal...twice. Made a mess of the nice clean engine bay and powdercoated parts I had just installed too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, I pulled the filter housing off and removed the piston/spring and cleaned it up. Reinstalled and haven't had an issue since.

Have you ported the relief valve? I assume you have removed the balance shafts, and possibly done other things that bump the oil pressure up.

Relief valve was ported, and I have the RRE "Road race engineering" Crankcase kit installed also.

Street Surgeon

Wouldn't hurt to have one of these wired up with to kill the fuel pump when oil pressure drops.

Last edited:

Tre3zy

Quoting uncleben4rice:
Yep it happen to me. Motor blew up because I used the wrong oil filter. WIX filters are garbage. Newbs pay attention. Genuine Mitsubishi or Bosch only. Now I gotta spend $2000 to get 654/2000 back to 30psi of boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

well atleast your gonna rebuild it... sucks that the motor blew but hey it happens... you think you'll be ready for the last SAC event??? ill be on there trying to hit 11's with the SHITBOX... mines been running good at 32psi and i told TED to tune it for higher boost... your setup should crack the 11's easy with a good launch... and start running higher than 30psi man!!! your turbo can handle than that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Redwood

Well this was a very helpful thread. i think i can fix what was making my car dump oil on the ground after parking it.

i also love seeing all the love everyone has for each other on here from time to time. its makes my day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

theevozero

This thread is full of stupid.

uncleben4rice

Quoting Redwood:
Well this was a very helpful thread. i think i can fix what was making my car dump oil on the ground after parking it.

i also love seeing all the love everyone has for each other on here from time to time. its makes my day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Okay You need real help. My Galant never leaks because we seal it and install it correctly. You my friend are a newb if your Galant leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned