The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

black plastic piece that secures the headlight?

Boostdtalon

Is it possible to replace this piece or do i need to just go ahead and replace the headlight(s)? I mean the piece the secures the light to the housing? I have plans of installing 93' headlights but not at the moment.

broxma

You can replace the holder. I have done it on several sets of lights. I picked up a few from base model galants in the yard and swapped them over. Takes a while but can be done.

/brox

broxma

I'm now going back over what you asked. , I just haven't figured out how. I thought you were originally asking about the adjustment holder plastic which break if you fart near them. You mean the black plastic back pieces that hold the light in the housing. I have found no way to remove those without breaking them. I'll give it a shot when I head back out into the garage. I did look at them and they appear to be snapped on but when I tried removing one, it broke, go figure. Sorry for the confusion. I report back with anything I find tonight.

/brox

Boostdtalon

It's cool thanks for the help. If it works I have a set of headlights I can tear into. I tried before and nothing seemed to work without breaking them.

curtis

Not understanding the question but here goes. Lens is glass its sealed to the thermoset resin back plate then that has mounts for adjustments that bolts to the black painted steel piece that bolts to the car. To take the steel off you remove from car then Theres a 10mm nut that unbolts in the center then a allen bit on a drill works on the adjusters after the screw driver looking thing is removed,. Now take the bulbs out as well as the screws holding the adjusters. Now a small watchmakers screw driver ops the tabs up to remove the bulb holder rings. Clean light with windex or something on the outside, pop off the 6 stainless tab things that hold the parts together and take a new disposable razor and cut next to the glass and the plastic back plate. You can cut out a v shape works best.

Now get the wide screw drivers , scrappers and other toys out. Now place one light in a pre heated oven for about 20 minutes on 175 pull it out and place on a towel and stick a wide scraper screw driver between the glass and plastic and twist slightly. near a corner. If the glass and plastic looks like there moving easy keep going. If its hard try another 10 minutes or so. Some can take up to an hour to cook. When it starts to move easily work fast. lift the plastic up and away and make sure the gray goo doesn't fall on the backplate or the inside of the glass. Have a few new razors handy during this the goo looks and strings like melted cheese. Now start on the glass cutting the goo off while warm and pack the pieces you cut off in the grove on the backplate. If it gets cold put them back in the oven. Or just clean all of it off and out and use RTV to reseal. Reassemble is the reverse.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned