The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BC Coilovers

GSX_TC

I'm confused I thought all the guys getting these said they were very happy with them?

belize1334

I'm very happy with mine so far. I don't know enough about shock dynos to refute the above statements. Unfortunately, the graph shows design characteristics but not quality markers (such as repeatability and hysteresis). My experience has been that on full soft they're VERY tolerant of rough roads. And believe me when I say rough... we see sub 20* temps 8 months out of the year here so our roads are AWFUL. With the shock settings turned up a bit it becomes a whole new beast... very aggressive.

So far the only issue I've had is that the back springs tend to make a "boing" sound going over big bumps some times. I suspect that his is some combination of insufficient preload and the lack of a thrust bearing in back so that as the spring compresses and twists it has a tendancy to catch and then release and resonate with that sound. I'm going to corner weight the car soon and I'll double check the preload at that point. If the issue persists I'll throw a couple of torrington thrust bearings on the back springs and see if that fixes the problem. And when I say problem I mean "very minor annoyance".

The thing with suspension is it's all subjective to each individual's preference. There are so many different setups out there to choose from & obviously as you go higher up in price the quality gets better. You can't expect to compare these to Ohlins & call it a fair comparison. Compare it to others within the similar price point & ask yourself, self why do I need coil overs? Is it for looks, is it for street, is it for strip, is it for both street & strip, is it for the best setup available or is it to give me a little of everything in a package I can afford?

To be realistic, these will satisfy the needs of 95% of us. The next 5% will opt for Hotbits/Tein/Ohlins...... Decide what you want to do with the car, then pick a setup that will be geared towards that goal. Also these are the base setup from BC & they only offer one more stage up from here for us. The top of the line ER series which is what's on the winning One Lap of America Evo X piloted by Chris Wirth & Sean Caron has performed flawlessly for the past 2 years of absolute track abuse combined with daily duties & thousands of miles. Unfortunately these are not available for us & if they were they would retail for over $2k.

There's always going to be a better setup, question is, do you need it?

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Well said Garfield

dmj

I have had BC's on the galant for several months now and I am happy with them. The ride is firm but not harsh, it handles brick streets and rough roads very well. No unusual suspension noises or creaks so far. It may actually be the best mod I did to the car.

GSX_TC

I like the sound of that. I can't wait to get mine

Quoting Garfield Wright:

To be realistic, these will satisfy the needs of 95% of us. The next 5% will opt for Hotbits/Tein/Ohlins......

Very true, not everyone is willing to spend the money on high end stuff or custom setups for maximum on track performance especially since very few actually track their GVR-4. If someones happy with their stuff for the street then great! But on track those are definitely not up to the task of being truly competitive.. Then again, $3k is about the entry into higher quality and these are about 1/3rd of that.

birdman24

Quoting dmj:
Installed coilovers and new wheels and tires today car now rides firm, not harsh at all . I will beat on it tomorrow and see how it performs

Hey DMJ, what size are your wheels and is that the 2" inch drop that comes with the coilovers or did you lower it more?
Also, do these come with rear camber plates?

Nartanian

Seems like from the reviews, BC's are the way to go. I opted for D2's becuase of pricing. They are STIFF. My friends know better than bring lidless drinks or pick their nose in my car while I'm cruising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Does anyone with coilovers scrape their undercarage over some uneven roads on highway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

dmj

Wheels are 17 x 7.5 35 mm offset. 67.1 centerbore with 235/40/ 17 tires. The drop is the standard with the coilovers except for the right rear which I had to lower about 1/4 in to even out the ride height. No adjustable camber plates for the rears.

Last edited:

birdman24

Ok thank you, it looks great btw.

RedTwo

Quoting Nartanian:
Seems like from the reviews, BC's are the way to go. I opted for D2's becuase of pricing. They are STIFF. My friends know better than bring lidless drinks or pick their nose in my car while I'm cruising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif Does anyone with coilovers scrape their undercarage over some uneven roads on highway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yeah, with the D2's, I've hit the exhaust and the engine sub frame a few times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

trexn8

Anybody else buy these?

Can you report any new findings?

Thanks.

belize1334

So far I'm please with mine. I do have a few small complaints.

The camber plates are bi-directional. That is, it's the same plate for left and right. In order for this to work the slot allows as much "tipout" as "tipin". The problem is that his leaves a big gap on the outside where debris can be flung up and off the tire. I live on a gravel road so I have to dust off the top of the plates every few days to ensure that grime doesn't work it's way down into the spherical bearing.

Also, I occasionaly get a pretty loud spring "twang" when going over bumps/potholes/etc. I suspect that the preload is insufficient and the springs are unseating. I'll be pulling the suspension out again in the near future and I'll double check the preloads and see if that fixes it.

Lastly, the rear brake line mounting bracket is crap. You have to bend and tweek it to make it work unless you want to run a single line setup and ditch the intermediate hard-line and bracket.

Having said all of that. I'm VERY pleased overall. Set to full soft I get a nice compliant ride even on these EXTREMELY rough Montana roads. Turning it up to ~10 gives great control for slightly uneven tarmac. Anything stiffer than that is for driving on glass unless you order the stiffer springs.

Last edited:

dmj

No problems so far on mine and it has taken some serious bumps. the kids don't complain about the ride at all. I can enter tight corners a lot faster so it saves me from down shifting a lot.Excellent value for the money.

trexn8

So I ordered a set from Garfield at Tuners Nation and he has been great to deal with and I am very satisfied with my coilovers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do however agree with the op that the rear brake line "mounts" could be better. The way I have mine now they move around a bit and are quite a bit closer to the wheels. I can post a pic soon.

I was wondering if the op could post a pic of how you mounted your rear lines? Thank you.

Nate

Brunoboy

i just ordered a set of these and after reading that the rear mounting brackets are crap, it makes me wonder what you guys did to fix the problem. I used to own Evo Suspension and still have the SS Brake lines for that setup with the adjustable mounting tab. Im pretty sure this will be fine for the rear since its adjustable instead of bending the bracket correct?
-Shane

belize1334

As is I'm just running with a bent bracket which is operational but unsatisfying. I'd be very interested to see if the evo lines offer better compatibility. Swapping out the rear lines would seem to me an acceptably cheap fix.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned