The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BC Coilovers

GSX_TC

Which ones did u get again, because I see that there's two you can get for vr4's

GSX_TC

Ok, how much did they cost you

ApexHunter

Quoting GSX_TC:
What does the bc stand for? I'm really liking these, might get me a set sooner than later.

Bor-Chuann

belize1334

They're about $1,000 but you'll have to seek a vendor to get a more accurate quote.

GSX_TC

Garfield is good people, just spoke to him yesterday

Brianawd

any word on Shock dyno's and revalving if needed?

belize1334

At this point instead of revalving they're just offering replacement shocks for like $75 or something. I tracked down a shock dyno of the more expensive ER series ( click ) and it was pretty impressive. That doesn't tell us about the BR but it does imply that the company at least knows how to make a good product.

After driving around on these for a few days I can at least conclude that the shock adjustment works quite well. On harsh bozeman roads 15 was too stiff. I dialed it down to 5 and it made a HUGE difference on all four corners. At a minimum this is an enormous improvement over something like KYB AGX where the dials have little to no correspondence to the actual stiffness of the shock.

Last edited:

Sorry guys, I've had the dyno charts for the front & rear for sometime now. I didn't recall until I clicked this thread just now. I don't have Acrobat on this laptop but maybe I can email the pdf files to someone who can convert them jpg & load them for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

Hm... am I seeing this correctly that these are only rebound adjustable? BC says on their website that it's rebound and damping together...

click

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Omg I want those!!

Alright, so... These look like crap to me. Though it's a bit hard to tell since half of a PVP plot isn't really telling me much. I'm no shock expert, far from it, but even I can see these are pretty cheap in the valving.

The adjustability is only in the positive range? So its only compression adjustable with a bit of cross talk in the rebound. Either the chart is wrong or that alone makes this thing worthless. Next, its almost purely a linear shock. That will lead to rough rides and is similar to almost everything else coming out of Japan. So either its going to be under damped at low speed or kidney jarring at high speed (were talking jounce here, not vehicle speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Anyone else ridden on K-sports then jumped into an evo on Ohlins or similar with same wheel rates. The evo feels like a caddy in comparison. The "knee" on this is far to low and according to this graph only shows up at the end of the compression adjustment range.

Total rebound force is looking pretty soft, yet the max compression is huge. It's quite un-balanced IMO. I would want about double the rebound and half the compression (or just leave it on the low setting).

Not to be completely negative but I really cant see anything "quality" in those plots.

Brianawd

Quote:
Alright, so... These look like crap to me. Though it's a bit hard to tell since half of a PVP plot isn't really telling me much. I'm no shock expert, far from it, but even I can see these are pretty cheap in the valving.

The adjustability is only in the positive range? So its only compression adjustable with a bit of cross talk in the rebound. Either the chart is wrong or that alone makes this thing worthless. Next, its almost purely a linear shock. That will lead to rough rides and is similar to almost everything else coming out of Japan. So either its going to be under damped at low speed or kidney jarring at high speed (were talking jounce here, not vehicle speed ). Anyone else ridden on K-sports then jumped into an evo on Ohlins or similar with same wheel rates. The evo feels like a caddy in comparison. The "knee" on this is far to low and according to this graph only shows up at the end of the compression adjustment range.

Total rebound force is looking pretty soft, yet the max compression is huge. It's quite un-balanced IMO. I would want about double the rebound and half the compression (or just leave it on the low setting).

Not to be completely negative but I really cant see anything "quality" in those plots.

Thank you Dallas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Looks like its back to the AMR coilovers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onesickcrx

Just called Ohlins just to get a price on a set of Evo 9 coilovers they retail for $3200....

4Grim

Here are some links on some decent reviews on BC as a company and the coilovers. Learned that yes they are made in Taiwan..but actually have no affiliation with D2sport, Megan, Ksports....and actually have more connection with the BIG name JDM companies like Greddy/Trust, etc. They have been making coilovers for 13 years now.

Hope this helps for those on the fence on these coilovers. I know of 2 people that use BC suspension on their cars HARDCORE, Road course and Drifting and have no issues with BC coilovers at all.

Lotus Elise Review

Bimmer forum

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned