The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ball joints stuck

91GSR

"the kid" is going to try, but there are a couple other things im going to try first. first of all i dont have a giant friggin hammer just lyin around. i will be the first one to say that i may not be fully equipped for most auto work. i have a set of metric and standard sockets, a breaker bar, and some wrenches with a couple different sets of pliers. most of the time if there is something else i need i rent it from vatozone or somethin. my first try is going to be heat with a pry bar cuz i dont want to end up having to take the whole steering hub out. if that doesnt work i will just take the whole thing out and try that, but it includes a whole other almost hour to do that. (i have changed a clutch on these cars, i know how long it takes to get the axle off then back on...)

EDIT: BTW im almost 23...what makes u think im a kid? im still just new to these cars gimme a friggin break

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quote:
EDIT: BTW im almost 23...what makes u think im a kid? im still just new to these cars gimme a friggin break

Grammar does go a long way, and they are probably calling you out on this. Well, if they aren't I'll say it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
EDIT: BTW im almost 23...what makes u think im a kid?

Tim,

Srsly, the reason peple assume u r a kid iz bcuz u post in fragged moon speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

This is the technical section of the board, and you are asking a nOOb question and resisting our every attempt to help you... whilst sprangling teh kings english in a manner that would get you put on the short bus at age 12, much less age 23 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For future reference, when posting in the big boys section, use proper english, and at least attempt to form complete sentences! You'll get better responses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
im still just new to these cars gimme a friggin break

We all started somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as getting this control arm off the car without damaging it...

Go to Harbour freight and buy a decent hammer. (and some safety glasses!)

Then, use a fence post or whatever you have handy for leverage, pry down on the arm, and smack it exactly where Kenny indicated in the pics.

Just step away from teh keyboard and get 'er done.

Kenny_Kline

Just go put pressure on the rotor with a jack and jack up. Take ball joint nut off and hit the hub where the ball joint goes through. It will pop. If it doesnt, get a bigger hammer. Heat is a waste of time to pop a ball joint. Its really not needed plus you will probably ruin the ball joint. Just go try the jack method and get a big hammer. If your to cheap to buy a hammer, go borrow one or improvise and use a BFR (big f***ing rock)

Figure it out... its not that hard if you just try. Pr on it and hit with hammer. It will pop.

91GSR

first off, yes grammar sux on the internet because im lazy...

second. got the damn thing off. went to autozone and got a "tie rod seperator" which i believe is what you guys refer to as a "pickle fork" took a while but got it off. started raining, jack got wet somehow and almost slipped out from under car. thank god for jackstands. anyway im taking a break today because i cant stand to work in the col drain anymore. at least i got it off and moved over to the other car. drivers side done, now gotta do passenger side and now i should have all necessary tools.

thanks for the help guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

this thread made me laugh... hahaha.

Glad you got it done.

Still, go out and buy a BFH. They're not expensive, and for what you spent on that rented pickle fork, you couldve had yourself a larger hammer, that'll probably live longer than you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quoting 91GSR:
first off, yes grammar sux on the internet because im lazy...

second. got the damn thing off. went to autozone and got a "tie rod seperator" which i believe is what you guys refer to as a "pickle fork" took a while but got it off. started raining, jack got wet somehow and almost slipped out from under car. thank god for jackstands. anyway im taking a break today because i cant stand to work in the col drain anymore. at least i got it off and moved over to the other car. drivers side done, now gotta do passenger side and now i should have all necessary tools.

thanks for the help guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

91GSR

didnt rent the pickle fork bought it for 10 bucks. and i bought a dead blow hammer as well i think it was 10 bucks. gonna get a ball pein hammer later on when something calls for the need. im slowly but surely building up my repetoir of tools. got the drivers side finished up and moved on to getting a few bolts off the passenger side. started raining/snowing over the weekend so i lost a lot of work time.

spoulson

Doesn't Autozone do free tool loaners, including pickle forks?

91GSR

tool loans from vatozone are NOT free.i rented an axle socket and it cost 40 bucks. when u return it u get the money back but still...its not free

CP

I keep those rentals. I'd rather pay $40 to own it rather than $40 to rent it. I got my brake caliper retractor kit and my pickle forks using this method.

91GSR

if the tool i was renting was worth it i would do that but i could buy the socket for under twenty, and the picklle fork i got for 10...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned