The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

balance shaft ?

4doorboost

so im rebuilding my motor and was wondering. if i install the balance shaft exactly the same as stock but then just dont put the belt on, would this cause a problem? or should i just replace the balance shaft, or eliminate it?

turbowop

This should be posted in the section I'm no longer allowed to post in. But I'll bite, since I miss halping the n00bs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

You can leave the front balance shaft in without the belt, but you need to remove the rear balance shaft if you do, by either replacing it with a stubby shaft or a balance shaft with the counter weight machined off. I like the stubby shafts myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't understand why you wouldn't want it out of there. I just pull everything.

Your telling me I 've pulled both of em from more than one vehicle with engine in car. Of course those were both 1gs not gizzants

jepherz

Staff member
I pulled it in both of my vr4's recently. If you take the time to make the correct tools, it's not too bad.

SmoothCustomer

I did it. I don't even notice it vibrating at all. Even when I first did it I didn't notice it (I'm telling you because people get "used to" the vibration, but I didn't even have to). I think my brother just cut the belt and called it a day because someone recommended that to him, and he had prothane mounts so it vibrated like you wouldn't believe.

Brunoboy

i have prothanes and bse, so much vibration, every female that rides with me think its going to break down -__- lol.
-shane

turbowop

Prothanes add about 100 times more vibration to the interior than the elimination of balance shafts. It usually gets the females excited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Whoodoo

Prothanes FTL... My buddy has them in his AWD 1g and it makes riding with him for more than 15 minutes an assault on your patience. Im sure him taking out all the sound matting doesn't help, but the vibes is not my thing.

Back on subject... I am beginning to plan a trip across the country in my galant in the spring. I really would like to take care of possible balance shaft failure before I do so. If I've read the thread correctly, yall are saying taking off the belt is sufficient, but wouldn't this cause issues with oil pressure?

turbowop

I don't really have a problem with the vibes the Prothanes produce, since they're mostly noticed at idle. Driving down the freeway at 80mph I don't notice them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brianawd

Prothanes are not as bad as people make them out to be(wipe the sand out your vag people). It just takes so getting used to. I my self would never go back to factory rubber mounts.

4thStroke

Only removing the balance shaft belt is not sufficient. You can remove it, but you must also pull the rear shaft and install the stub shaft, the front shaft can stay in.

Its not until both shafts are removed that there is an issue with oil pressure, IIRC. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

If I had thought of it earlier, I may have drilled some hols on the Prothanes to help a little with the vibration, but Ive learned to love with it. I know this would negate some of the advantage of installing them in the first place, but my bushings needed replaced regardless and I really do think that Prothanes are overkill for the car to begin with. Stiff is nice, but I doubt anything would have happened by now if I had stock mounts in the car.

Quoting Brianawd:
Prothanes are not as bad as people make them out to be(wipe the sand out your vag people). It just takes so getting used to. I my self would never go back to factory rubber mounts.

Always gotta be the tough guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I'll try and make this simple.

With the front shaft, you have two options:
1. Pull the shaft, install rotated bearings to block of oil passages.
2. Just remove the belt and leave the shaft in.

With the back shaft, you have two options:
1. Remove the shaft and install the stub shaft. The inner bearing is oiled through the shaft, so there is no oil passage in the bearing.
2. Remove the shaft, turn the weights off of it, and re-install.

Oil pressure is mostly altered when removing the front shaft completely and installing the rotated bearings. This is because those oil passages are completely blocked off.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned