The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Axle seal leak

gotbl4d3

Hello all I am having some trouble trying to get my axles to seal I have replaced my seals three times
So I know I am doing the install right. I stuck my finger in the bearing see if it had any movement and there
Was none could it be my axles I didn't see any kind of groove or burr in them soo I don't know what to think
Any input from anybody would be great thank you.

EHmotorsports

Is the transmission over filled? If not a trick i do is to take the little spring on the seal. Untwist where it connects and clip a 1/4 to 1/2" off to make the spring tighter.

brisvr4

You haven't pushed the seal in too far?

rdomeck

I am having the same issues. My old trans didn't leak at all. Swapped in a rebuilt unit and both axle seals leak. Replaced them with factor ones....Still leak. The drivers side can not go in to far because it has a lip on it. The passenger side seemed to leak more. I have ordered two more seals and while the trans is out I am making sure they both go in properly.

I'll post up my results in the next day or two. I did slip the seals onto the axles and they are tight! Seem to be tight into the trans as well!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Any grooves worn in your axles like you seen on crankshafts? If so, you have to try to avoid installing the new seal in the same location.

G

Staff member
Quoting EHmotorsports:
Is the transmission over filled? If not a trick i do is to take the little spring on the seal. Untwist where it connects and clip a 1/4 to 1/2" off to make the spring tighter.

Good idea.

turbowop

If the seals didn't leak before with the same axles, but do now with a different trans, I would suspect some gouging on the surface the seal sits in on the trans. I usually smear some RTV on the outside of the seal where it goes in the trans, in case there is a small scratch that some fluid could seep past.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts