The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help: Front wheel bearing noise that is not the wheel bearing

idreamidrive

A week after I threw on some brand new tires, I am getting the wheel bearing grumble. Goes away when I turn right. Replaced right bearing, still there. Replace left bearing, still there. Noticed that my lowered ball joint was bad, I am reaching here for a fix, replaced. Still there.

So I was thinking it has to be the passenger axle now, but the I started thinking, is it? I only know of axles making a clicking noise when bad. Could it be that bearing on the drivers side axle right by the motor? I need some guidance as I am lost.

prove_it

Bearing on the half shaft or a front diff bearing is out.

Also have someone sit in the back and listen to the rears. Sounds can be deceptive.

Last edited:

idreamidrive

Tie rods have been replaced in the last 2k miles.

I am thinking the easiest diagnosis will be to jackstand the car and put it gear and listen with a stethoscope.

I will report back.

CutlassJim

Try swapping to a different set of tires or putting the noisy spot tire in a different position. The snows on my GS make it sound like my left front wheel bearing is bad but goes away on my summer set.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts