The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone running 17c or 19c?

mitsu90

When I bought 1544 it had a frank jr 17c on it. It was a snappy turbo spooled quick and loved 22psi. I wish I could get my hands on another frank jr

1badgvr4

You keep talking about a built block, but what about supporting mods? If I were you Id leave that stuff alone and either go hta 68 (billet 16g) or FP3052 which is a bolt on setup also. Don't be scared of t3 OR t4 frame turbos as they are very versatile and can be tuned using different hot sides to shift the power band. I sounds like you need to do alot more research before you spend alot of money going down the wrong road. BTW I know of 3 friends with BONE STOCK bottom ends making well into 500 whp so theres no need for a built anything when it comes to the power your looking for.

turbowop

My fully built by Mitsubishi factory engine with 140k miles routinely revs out to 8k and 30psi on an FP3052. Who needs a built block? Especially for a 17/19c? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

EMX5636

^ +1. Truth. I ran 30-31 psi on a 57trim on my bone stock 147k mile Eclipse shortblock.

Launch

Everybody who's saying not worth it dont know what there missing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif endless $ trees around here evidently and answers sound like charlie brown school teacher and because racecar all stock appearing turbos are worthless?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif 17c texas rebuild for the oldskool. Because 550s and names like FrankJr meant fun street cars that were cheap.
Been messing with 17c turbos since my first fwd tsi 10 years ago. That turbo still runs/functions today. 300hp capable with stock like charastics. Flows cfm/lbmin of a 16g at lower rpms. On its Td06/8cm2 side it's a completly different beast tho, still spools fast for being a t3 and 385hp/400 capable. Just look at the Sy/Ty guys back in the day in the 11's on there stock 17cs..Two of them make a perfect twin kit on a smallblock 302
16g turbos just trippled in price? 14bs are harder to find. I'm profiling a evo3 comp housing for a 17c for one of my cars Since replacement 14b isn't worth it. Looks like a 14b with the same length vein wheel, just damn near twice it's size. (39lb/min)Great sleeper IMO and perfect for street cars not trying to go bb$2k plus.
Ahh, being able to trade turbos between my gvr4 and typhoon and others, and be dependable. Because dailydriver! (racecar rant off)
(Mitsu turbo bandwagon off, sorry)

turbojew

Quoting EMX5636:
^ +1. Truth. I ran 30-31 psi on a 57trim on my bone stock 147k mile Eclipse shortblock.

How long did that last for you?

This a saying I learned at tech school

If you dont have enough money to build it right the first time. You DEFINITELY dont have enough the second.

Last edited:

turbojew

Speed Costs Money. How fast do you wanna go?

turbojew

Why spend 1000 dollars on a stock block when you can spend a lil more and grab a forged block and never have to worry again.

turbojew

I dont trust a stock block with 150K+ on it to run 20 lbs of boost and last more than 10k

MuffinMan7580

^ People have 'em last all the time. My first Talon was pushing 22 (s16g) lbs on a stock bottom end with 130,000 miles on it. It was still going strong at 160,000+ (speedo cable broke at 160,000-ish and I never replaced it) when it was rebuilt for a different project. Still had the cross-hatching and everything. Before you go and spend the money for a built block, check out your current one atleast.

Edit-for a joo you really seem like you want to spend money.

Last edited:

turbojew

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA I LOLD muffinman. I am not cheap. Ive seen the results of doing things half assed thanks to cheap friends lol

turbowop

Quoting turbojew:
I dont trust a stock block with 150K+ on it to run 20 lbs of boost and last more than 10k

First off, it ain't just about boost. It's more about power level and tuning. You're a super n00b if you don't think a stock block 4g63 can endure 20+ psi for longer than 10k. Both my cars are still alive, along with many many others out there putting down power north of 500 at the wheels.

Second, it's not about being cheap either. Feel free to add up the money and high quality parts that have gone into either of my cars. I could have easily built my motor many years ago, but I'm smart enough to know that for my goals, it wasn't necessary.

Feel free to spend lots of money building your block though. It makes it that much more fun for guys like me when you're sitting there scratching your head wondering how a guy with a stock short block just smoked you in the quarter mile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

brisvr4

^^ +1 Mark. Mine was running 30+psi on a 50 trim for more than 2 years until I stepped up to a 6262 about 18 months ago. Since then it's been running 35psi or so EVERY time I take it out.
If you have a decent tune you will generally have far less issues. It's when people think that they know what they are doing but don't have a clue get hold of these cars that sh*t starts to happen!

turbojew

I just dont trust a 20 year old engine with 150000 on it already thats been beaten the f*** up. I like fresh and new. Im not doubting its abilities to take the boost im doubting its reliability. I know its all about the tune. I know people with exact same set ups except one makes 50 hp more due to the tune.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned