The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone recognize these cams? Pics and mesurements included.

ApexHunter

Any idea which cams these are? Not stock...the distance from lobe tip to base circle is way off and the markings don't match any oem cam.

Unless i'm just a complete idiot and there is something i am overlooking. However the measurements still don't make sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Intake cam markings

4463203688_f07a4c414e_b.jpg

4462427625_24281bddea_b.jpg

Exhaust cam markings

4462427111_d563448bd5_b.jpg

4463203930_d37315c813_b.jpg

Specs per factory service manual 91-92

4462427551_ce78e4c0e7_b.jpg

Measurements- Cam height (tip of lobe to base circle). Using a known good micrometer.

4463204864_eff6d89398_b.jpg

Intake
4462426681_c074547c80_b.jpg

Exhaust
4463204200_ec12d06160_b.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

curtis

I measured some known cams from a turbo and a non turbo then the ones that came out of my car. The ones out of mine were slightly larger. But that was years ago and the piece of paper I'm sure has long since vanished. Plus I had a dsm valve cover on mine and don't know the history before me of my car except they didn't know how to put in a balance shaft belt or know that caps leak. If anyone here has a set of stock galant vr4 cams measure them up for this guy

G

Staff member
What head did you pull them from?

ApexHunter

I bought the head complete from a member on here. I hit him up a couple weeks ago about this...he was pretty surprised. He said that the head came from a GVR4 that was completely stock when he bought it.

FWIW, everything else in the head is OE as far as i can tell. The valvespring free length and pressure are right on spec. I checked the calibration of the micrometer with a standard before i took the measurements. Everything was at room temperature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Dialcaliper

The measurements you took on that intake cam work out to somewhere between .376 and .393 total valve lift, depending on whose "stock" lift measurements you use (published on various sites like BC and Crower cams). The .393" lift would match an HKS 264 intake cam, but the markings don't look much like the stock markings (meaning, probably not regrinds) and they don't look like HKS markings either. More than likely you have either a 264 or 264/272 style knockoff from some aftermarket manufacturer. You might try a google image search to try and find some similar looking cams.

Assuming the car it came from had several prior owners, what probably happened is that the car (or just the engine if it wasn't the original) was mildly modified (bolt-ons), and then was parted out and returned to stock at some point. Either it wasn't worth the effort to remove the cams or they just weren't aware of the cams. There really aren't too many GVR4's left that still have all original stock parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned