The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket alarm install...

TurboTrader

I'm installing a DEI Remote Start, I got the start to work great and even fabricated a custom neutral safety switch on the shifter in case it gets left in gear accidentally. All went well with that, and all works great including the brake pedal kills the engine when depressed.

This may be a newb question, but I think I'm quite a bit above newb status even when it comes to electrical, but as a last resort I am reaching out for help.

Maybe I am blind or missing something, but I can't for the life of me find the correct wires for the - unlock and - Lock up under the driver's side of the dash. On the DSM's, it is the farthest left relay up above the clutch, rather the wires running from there, but I looked hard and can see neither colors I need there, or anywhere. According to my diagram I need Brown with White tracer and Brown with Yellow tracer, hopefully this is correct, but I can't for the life of me find the two wires.

Anyway, I'm sure someone around here has installed an aftermarket alarm, and help would be much appreciated. If one can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Rausch

Quote:
but I can't for the life of me find the correct wires for the - unlock and - Lock up under the driver's side of the dash.

You're in the right spot.

87663-0-0-0.jpg

Don't worry, I am not a newb at electronics and I had plenty of fun with the aftermarket alarm in my car.

Just to the left of the fusebox, behind a plastic trim panel you will see the wires mentioned below.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I just got done with my installation of an aftermarket alarm with remote start and turbo timer built in. I did not enjoy it at all.

TurboTrader

Well, I tracked those wire down, and now more issues. When I used the remote to unlock the doors, after using the remote start, the factory alarm went off when I opened the door.

As I read in another thread here, I clipped the Yellow/Blue wire to disable the factory alarm and now the remote start won't work, as if the factory alarm has now killed the starter.

I'm reading up, but anyone have advice as to disable the factory alarm without killing the starter?!?

TurboTrader

Nevermind. I tried it again, and it worked fine. Must have something to do with unlocking the door with the key or something weird.

jepherz

Staff member
I doubt our primitive alarm systems can disable the vehicle from starting. Am I right?

toybreaker

iconoclast

The etacs module will lock down the starter relay when the alarm is triggered.

Meaning, you'll be leaving a foot if you don't have the key.

Quoting MadBeachDSM:
Nevermind. I tried it again, and it worked fine. Must have something to do with unlocking the door with the key or something weird.

It's actually a pretty sophisticated system, and it will need to see the key turn the lock cylinder before it calls off the dogs and lets you start the car.

Last edited:

TurboTrader

I have no explanation then. I tested the voltage on the yellow/blue wire and it showed 12 volts at all states.

What I think, is when I used the key to unlock it one last time, it left the starter relay open, so I think, provided I use the remote to lock and unlock the vehicle at all times, and never use the inside switch or key in the door, the remote start should always work.

It has worked every since so far.

With that, is there any way to disable it from ever killing the starter no matter how the doors are locked? Or at the least, if I tear the dash apart and pull the whole factory alarm, will anything else be affected?

toybreaker

iconoclast
pm sent

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts