The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

afpr?

MellowVR4

yay or nay, im debating if i should get this afpr from a guy around town. He says that he sent his oem one to extremepsi and they maid into an adjustable one, dont know if this would work fine on my car all it needs is a gauge. Let me know yay or nay.
img.php

img.php

Last edited:

belize1334

I've never seen an OEM afpr modified like that. Ask him whether they increased the size of the orifice to eliminate over-run. Or, better yet, call extremepsi and ask them if they actually did the job and what goes into it.

belize1334

You're right...it is. I haven't seen that style but it's definitely just a cap to allow adjustment of the spring.

Don't buy it. While it will allow you to raise the base fuel pressure it doesn't nothing to address the small orifice which is the cause of fuel pressure over-run.

MellowVR4

even if i get a keydiver it wont work?

belize1334

There are differing opinions about whether fpr over-run is actually a problem and just how pervasive it is. For my money, it happens anytime you have a fuel pump which is much bigger than OEM (which is a must if you want to make enough power to be fun). The problem is that at idle your engine uses very little fuel and so the rest must be diverted through the fpr back to the pump. The orifice through the OEM fpr is very small and so the pressure in the fuel rail rises do to this restriction. This results in a "higher than base" fuel pressure when the engine is consuming low volumes of fuel. Then, when your turbo spools up your engine uses more fuel and the fpr stops being a restiction so the fuel pressure stabalizes. The result is that the fuel pressure no longer rises linearly with manifold pressure and you can't get a good tune.

The reason that the keydiver chip won't help this issue is that it simply sets the base fuel pressure and then the ECU assumes that you have a rising rate regulator. Since the over-run negates this assumption, the chip won't help.

Now, some people maintain that this isn't a problem and, if you don't care about drivability, you can just tune for boost and you'll be ok. For my money you can either get a quality AFPR with a big orifice or else stick with a smaller fuel pump. I ran an EvoIX fuel pump for a few years and the over-run was tolerable. The fuel trims had no problem keeping my AFRs in check. Then I rewired that same pump and fuel trims got funky. Now I have a 255 and the oem fpr would never handle it.

MellowVR4

so get like aeromotive kit or fuelab? their both pretty good correct.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting keydiver:
Don't buy it. Get a REAL AFPR.

I had one on my car when I got it, utterly useless it was. Changed over to Aeromotive and never looked back.
Just get a fuel rail adapter to whatever AN line you use and a return adapter for the AFPR. Thats all I did, very easy to do.
-shamus

MellowVR4

OK im going with the real s#!^, thnx guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned