The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 Galant VR-4 "Slutty Paula"

fuel

^^ not quite, my JDM Galant VR-4 has a keyhole in the fuel door.

Well good ol Slutty Paula is still idle surging like a boss because I haven't had time to block off the FIAV. I've decided I'm going to pick up a ProSport boost gauge this weekend along with the classic redline cocktail to see if that helps with the grinding when I shift into 3rd. I've also got a manual boost controller coming in the mail.

Here's a video of the grind when I shift into 3rd.
3rd gear grind

Anther problem I'm going to start addressing is the fact that the gas gauge reads half right now and there's only about 55 miles on the tank. I've also noticed that my Trip A and Trip B read 10 miles difference even though I reset them at the same time. I've read that this could be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or possibly the fuel float got stuck or maybe the fuel sender is faulty. Non of this is very familiar to me, so if you have any useful links or insight I'd be much appreciated. Thanks,
-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

I swapped the winter tires from the aftermarket rims to the stock white rims today, and I've decided to buy some new summer rubber instead of putting the crappy all season tires back on. In the meantime, I'm going to powdercoat the aftermarket wheels matte black. Anybody have any suggestions on cheap summer tires?

Still a little unsure about the gas gauge reading half with only 50 miles on the tank. I checked and it doesn't look like it's leaking fuel and I can't smell anything around the fuel neck.

Also not sure what to do about the odometer reading funky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have decided to keep rocking the trans that's in there now and just push through the 3rd gear grind until I find a good deal on a trans that I can swap in.

Then explain this...?
IMAG0053.jpg

fuel

does it go at a certain percentage slower or does it get to a certain amount of miles then stop for 10 miles then resume again? sounds like a faulty tripmeter/odometer cluster anyhow, perhaps a little tab on one of the wheels is broken and not turning it over when it reaches a certain amount of miles.

Honestly, that's as far as I've driven the car over about a month period. Aside from quick trips to school and back every now and then, the car just sits while I focus on fixing a few things.

Nartanian

If you're looking for summer tires I'd look into the Yokohama S.Drive. Kumho Ecsta AST are cheap summer tires that will work if the S.Drives are a tad much. I've heard good things bout the Nitto Neo Gens. So I just ordered some and will see how well they do for summer DD.

JSchleim18

Quoting HiImBrian:
Then explain this...?
IMAG0053.jpg

The A trip will read up to 999.9 miles

B trip will read up to 9,999 miles

Perkul8r

Yes, but even if one will read up to 999.9 and the other will read up to 9999 there should not be a 10 mile difference in the two if they were both reset at the same time. Thats what he is asking about. So there must be something inside the cluster that is making one or the other not read correctly.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting JSchleim18:

The A trip will read up to 999.9 miles

B trip will read up to 9,999 miles

I'm gonna go waaaaay out on a limb here and say that I'm sure he realizes that already. What's weird is that both were reset at the same time and trip B reads ten more miles than trip A.

Last edited:

JSchleim18

Oh you funny guy. I didn't read through the thread to realize what he was actually asking about.

OZRally

Very weird...
Did you notice when the trip would change? Does one count and the other lags? Or does it not count at the same speed?

^Like I said, that's as far as I've driven the car in the last month. Mostly in like 3 miles at a time, so I haven't really noticed how the counters relate to each other. I'd take it for a long cruise to see, but I don't have the title transferred yet just in case I decide to part ways with it.

If I had a quarter for every person that told me that...I'd have more than the car's worth! haha

I picked up a set of Potenzas and an evo8 fm this weekend. I'm hoping to have the wheels stripped and powdercoated by early next week. I'm not sure if I want to coat them gloss black or matte black though. Any suggestions?

JSchleim18

I'd prefer a more matte or satin black to match the window trim and door handles.

ooooo I just did a little searching and I think I might try to do the face matte black and then give it a gloss black lip. I don't want anything too flashy since the car is pretty ugly, but it might be kind fun to try the matte/gloss combo.

ruh row...I just saw a pretty sweet white gvr4 with white 5 spokes and it looked pretty clean. I'm not sure if white rims would be too flashy for such an ugly gvr4 like mine though...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned