The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#740/1000 BUILD

Fiascoxl

Thanks. Yeah the flaps are just cheap Rally Armor Basics that I mounted a little wider than the tires, I hate when they stick out a ton. I like the understated look of them and they kinda just blend with the car. I put them on last fall and hated the way they looked new and flat, one season of heavy snowfalls has given them a nice worn look so to speak. The Wheels are SSR Type C 17x8 +35 offset and 235/40r17 Dunlop star specs. It desperately needs a lip though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I have a nib lip but you have to cut it in the middle for it to fit!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I like the stance.

Just a suggestion- paint the lower portion of the i/c black below the bumper. It would make it less obvious.

Fiascoxl

So I got the car running really well this past week after the pig rich (10:5-7 afr's) dyno day it had. Car is pulling really hard now and is as fast as it's ever been tuned to 11:5 afr on 93 pump and 90/10 methanol to water mix. Still haven't added or taken out any timing from the evo maps and I feel she is happy and safe at it's current power.

After getying the thing dialed in I decided to go to the track last night. Unfortunately with a good tune and stickier tires I wasn't able to improve my times as much as I hoped. I really thought it had high 6's in it but my 60 ft times are killing me. I think some drag radials or full slicks are next up on the list.

best pass slip

best pass video
click

inside view
click

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

Yeah the Star Specs,.. I've tried lowering the launch limit but the HX40 falls out if I launch under 5750rpm. One thing I did forget was to stiffen up the rear shocks, ultimately I could feel the front tires spinning with the rear end sagging. I didn't even realize I hadn't touched the struts till the smooth ride home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

GSTwithPSI

Did you try dropping the tire pressure a bit to see if that did anything?

You could also try going around the water box and skipping the burnout for a run just to see if that helps. Depending on the track prep, the box might leave you loosing traction rather than gaining on street tires.

Fiascoxl

I went around it a couple of times, I was within a tenth or two (7.3-7.5) all night. I did lower the tire pressure down to 30 but couldn't do much more because of the trip home.

badams

pretty cool to look at the first page and see where this thing is now. Great work!

Fiascoxl

Bad things have come to 740/1000. Bluntly I found second gear at the top of third gear, dropping a gear @ 8000rpm was a bad idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

4g6Tree

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Sounds like some carnage pics are might be coming.

Fiascoxl

I'll let the pics do the talking.

hmmm, somethings fuckey.

roadside vc removal.

Somehow this is just a mark and I can't catch a nail on it.

same here

Titanium retainer took it like a champ

The rocker that smashed into the VC, I have found all its missing pieces and needle bearings amazingly.

Crower single didn't snap somehow.

We have contact.

Dug into the seat pretty good.

Looks like a shroom on a spring morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I swear by these engnbldr stainless valves!

Guides smoked.

And a final close up.

GSTwithPSI

Damn, dude. Looks pretty bad, but on the other hand, it could have been wayyyy worse. At least your cams are ok.

Throw on a new head and you're up and running. Make sure you got all the pieces of broken sh*t too...Looks like you got most of it though.

transparentdsm

you need a head? i have 2 sitting here ill let go real cheap. one is complete and one is bare. can take pictures if you need. send me a pm

Fiascoxl

Thanks for the offer, I have another used head identical to this one in storage. It has port work, three angle valve job, 1mm OS stainless valves as well. I'm gonna have it skimmed for a MLS throw on some new seals and relap the valves while it's off.

Fiascoxl

Ok got the car back together and it ran great,... for a day or two. Seems to be a wrist pin on the piston that took a shot from the valve. When it rains it pours I guess, next step is pulling the motor to inspect the bottom end. Sucks that I pretty much blew 250 dollars on parts and numerous ours getting back to running just to have the bottom start making noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned